I’m sorry, some people will die: Brazil’s President
Published: 05:35 PM, 28 March 2020 Updated: 05:36 PM, 28 March 2020
Jair Bolsonaro; file photo
“I’m sorry, some people will die, they will die, that’s life,” Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro said in a television interview on Friday night.
Bolsonaro said that in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil’s economic powerhouse, the death toll seemed “too large.” Sao Paulo has the most cases and deaths so far of coronavirus in Brazil, at 1,223 cases and 68 deaths.
Though maximum of the countries of the world issued curfew or lockdown, Bolsonaro is not going on that way emphasizing the economy of the country.
“You can’t stop a car factory because of traffic deaths,” he said.
President expressed doubt on Sao Paulo’s death toll from the coronavirus outbreak and accused the state governor of manipulating the numbers for political ends, without giving evidence for his claims.
Bolsonaro also said, “We need to look at what is happening there, this cannot be a numbers game to favor political interests.”
His accusations were the latest broadside in an ugly battle with Brazil’s governors, who opposed the president’s view that protecting the economy takes priority over social distancing measures in the epidemic situation.
Following the advice of public health experts, the vast majority of the country’s 26 governors have banned non-essential commercial activities and public services to contain the outbreak in their states.
Earlier on Friday, Sao Paulo Governor Joao Doria, a former Bolsonaro ally who many expect to be a rival in the 2022 presidential election, accused Bolsonaro of promoting “disinformation” by launching a TV ad campaign criticizing the restrictions, featuring the slogan “#BrazilCannotStop.”
The slogan is similar to a campaign in Milan before deaths in Italy soared.
A total of 3,477 people have been infected by coronavirus in Brazil so far and of them, 93 died.
- India, Pakistan face the worst locust attack in decades
- Coronavirus deaths toll surpass 368,000 globally
- Germany has passed test so far: Angela Merkel
- 5 more test COVID-19 positive in Muksudpur
- 12 houses disappeared in Sandha River’s erosion
- Air India Delhi-Moscow flight returns midway as pilot has COVID-19
- killed Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Policeman dies at CMCH
- Councilor who buried 61 bodies contracts COVID-19
- West Indies approve Test tour of England
- Mobile court to continue to enforce hygiene rules
- Full genome sequencing of coronavirus completed in Bangladesh
- Israel detains Imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque
- PM for engaging local public representatives to stem COVID-19
- UN issues commemorative stamps on Bangabandhu
- ‘All measures taken to ensure passengers safety at airport’
- Dhaka-bound passengers’ rush in Daulatdia
- COVID-19 cases rise to 855 in Cumilla
- Stations where trains will stop; how to journey
- BRAC officer killed in Khulna road crash
- CMP plasma bank can save thousands of lives
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- BPWA demands withdrawal of bus fare hike
- Crime and traffic management being streamlined
- 18 judges sworn in by video conference
- 12 instructions of ministry over health rules
- SC to continue virtual hearing till June 15
- ECB seeks law for coronavirus substitute
- ‘Seems like BNP leaders appointed as WHO’s advisors’
- IMF approves $732m zero-interest loan for Bangladesh
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- 20 die in 24 hrs, 1873 new infected
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Japanese wrestler Hana Kimura dies
- Offices resume from May 31
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Far-right protesters rally across Spain over coronavirus
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Statue in the name of Allah-Muhammad (PBUH)
- It was a horrible night: Rukmini
- 2 miraculous survivors in Pakisani plane crash
- Power bill deadline extended
- What to do if you miss the Eid prayer
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow