ISIS claims execution of 11 Christians
Published: 02:53 PM, 28 December 2019
A group affiliated with ISIS, also known as ISIL, has released a video claiming to show the execution of 11 Christians in northeast Nigeria, one day after Christmas.
The footage posted in an online Telegram news channel late on Thursday by ISIS-linked propaganda arm Amaq showed 11 blindfolded men being lined up at an unidentified outdoor location.
One man is shot before the other 10 are beheaded. A masked man in the almost one-minute video claimed the killings were in response to the death of ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and his spokesman.
Al-Baghdadi committed suicide in October to avoid capture during a raid by United States special forces on his hideout in the province of Idlib, northwestern Syria.
In recent months, Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) has intensified its attacks on Christians, security personnel and aid workers, setting up roadblocks on main roads and conducting searches.
A previous video, seen by Reuters News Agency, said the captives had been taken from Maiduguri and Damaturu in Nigeria's northeast, where fighters have been attempting for years to set up a separate state under Islamic law.
In that earlier video, the captives pleaded for the Christian Association of Nigeria and President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene and save them.
On Friday, Buhari condemned the purported killers as "remorseless, godless, callous gangs of mass murderers that have given Islam a bad name through their atrocities".
He also called for unity among Nigeria's Christians and Muslims. "These agents of darkness are enemies of our common humanity, and they don't spare any victim, whether they are Muslims or Christians."
ISWAP split from Nigerian armed group Boko Haram in 2016, pledging allegiance to al-Baghdadi.
It stepped up attacks on military outposts and troops in mid-2018 but has increasingly begun targeting civilians.
The decade-long armed uprising in northeast Nigeria has killed 36,000 people and displaced around two million, according to the United Nations.
The violence had spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting the formation of a regional military coalition to combat the fighters.
- Gunfight at RAB checkpoint, 1 found dead
- Sound pollution, duo arrests in Ctg
- Crowd erupted at Cumilla Shaheed Minar
- Amar Ekushey Prabhat Feri observed in Sylhet
- 2 BCL leaders crashed to fetch flowers
- Tribute procession to Ctg Central Shaheed Minar
- Prabhat Feri observed in Shariatpur
- More 115 killed in lethal COVID-19 in a day
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Today’s sports on TV
- Syria-Turkey fierce fighting in Idlib kills 27
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- 8-yrs son on way demanding punishment of father’s killers
- Man arrested after London mosque stabbing
- CU also not to join combined admission test system
- Martin Braithwaite joins Barcelona
- US Embassy launches website in Bengali
- BSF officer commits suicide in Kashmir
- BD ranks 143 in improving quality of life in children
- Schoolgirl hangs for cellphone
- Train derailed in Australia kills 2
- Bangladeshi detained by BSF on Kurigram border
- Untold story of language fighter Momtaz Begum
- Fraud Nigerian detained in airport
- Tips to get rid of chickenpox scar
- 9 persons, one institution to get Independence Award
- DMP detained 57 in anti-narcotic drive
- Extinct wildcat recovered from Bhola
- S Korea confirms first coronavirus death
- All News »
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital