Facebook, Instagram ban far-right Proud Boys and founder
Published: 12:15 PM, 1 November 2018 Updated: 12:15 PM, 1 November 2018
The far-right Proud Boys and their founder, Gavin McInnes, have been banned from Facebook and Instagram because of policies against hate groups, the company announced.
McInnes criticized the ban in an email Wednesday, saying it was a way to drum up "hysteria" prior to the midterm elections next week.
"The left knows they are going to lose this election so they are ramping up the hysteria with fake news and censorship in a last ditch effort to win," he said.
The Southern Poverty Law Center calls the all-male Proud Boys a hate group, but the Proud Boys reject the label and describe themselves as "Western chauvinists who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world."
Members of the group brawled with anti-fascist protesters following a speech by McInnes at a Manhattan Republican club on Oct. 12, resulting in arrests of both Proud Boys' members and anti-fascists. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, criticized the statewide Republican Party for inviting McInnes.
A spokeswoman for Facebook, which also owns Instagram, said in a statement, "Our team continues to study trends in organized hate and hate speech and works with partners to better understand hate organizations as they evolve."
The loss of the platforms will likely hurt the Proud Boys' ability to recruit. The Southern Poverty Law Center reported in August that regional Proud Boys chapters were vetting new members through private Facebook chatrooms.
When asked Wednesday if the social media platforms have been a major recruiting tool, McInnes said, "I guess."
McInnes, 48, was a co-founder of Vice Media but left the company in 2008. He now hosts a podcast called "Get Off My Lawn."
- Washington declares ‘Bangladesh Day’ today
- Schoolgirl killed as leguna fell into ditch in Cumilla
- Obaidul Quader shifted to cabin from ICU
- Rain or thundershowers with gusty wind likely
- Google doodle celebrates Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Barca wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- La Liga wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Independence Day
- President, PM pays homage to Liberation War heroes
- Nation celebrating 49th Independence Day
- Build advance country being imbued with patriotism: PM
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- All News »
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- PM hands over Independence Award