I have no any foreign passport: Joy
Published: 02:20 PM, 24 April 2018
Sajeeb Wazed Joy
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s son Sajeeb Wazed Joy announced that he does not possess any foreign passport.
Joy, also Prime Minister’s ICT Affairs Adviser, said, “I don’t have any foreign passport. I have permanent residency in the US. I travel proudly on my green Bangladesh passport.”
He remarked this in a Facebook status update on his verified account on Monday after wading into the controversy over BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman’s passport status.
Sharing a news report on State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam’s defence of earlier statements with regard to Tarique Rahman’s citizenship, Joy also denounced the BNP as “thoroughly dishonest”.
“You cannot believe anything coming out of any of their (BNP) mouths,” he added.
The news report Joy shared contained what appear to be scans of one of Tarique Rahman’s passports along with a copy of a letter sent by the British Home Office to the Bangladesh High Commission accompanying the passports of Tarique and his family.
It remains unclear under what circumstances the Home Office came to be in possession of the passports, or indeed why they were forwarded to the High Commission either.
Joy’s clarification regarding his US citizenship status would support the view that there is no relation between one’s passport and residency.
Earlier, Shahriar Alam was challenged by BNP to prove Tarique gave up Bangladeshi citizenship by submitting his passport to the British Home Office.
- Australi set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Tigers look for Cardiff 2005 encore in Nottingham
- WC: Bangladesh meets Australia today
- Robber killed in Fatullah gunfight
- Youth killed in Mohammadpur gunfight
- Sohel Taj’s nephew rescued
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific