I have no any foreign passport: Joy
Published: 02:20 PM, 24 April 2018
Sajeeb Wazed Joy
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s son Sajeeb Wazed Joy announced that he does not possess any foreign passport.
Joy, also Prime Minister’s ICT Affairs Adviser, said, “I don’t have any foreign passport. I have permanent residency in the US. I travel proudly on my green Bangladesh passport.”
He remarked this in a Facebook status update on his verified account on Monday after wading into the controversy over BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman’s passport status.
Sharing a news report on State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam’s defence of earlier statements with regard to Tarique Rahman’s citizenship, Joy also denounced the BNP as “thoroughly dishonest”.
“You cannot believe anything coming out of any of their (BNP) mouths,” he added.
The news report Joy shared contained what appear to be scans of one of Tarique Rahman’s passports along with a copy of a letter sent by the British Home Office to the Bangladesh High Commission accompanying the passports of Tarique and his family.
It remains unclear under what circumstances the Home Office came to be in possession of the passports, or indeed why they were forwarded to the High Commission either.
Joy’s clarification regarding his US citizenship status would support the view that there is no relation between one’s passport and residency.
Earlier, Shahriar Alam was challenged by BNP to prove Tarique gave up Bangladeshi citizenship by submitting his passport to the British Home Office.
- 1st coronavirus case identified in Tangail
- Death toll exceeds 17000 in Italy
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus infected woman journo shares 13 new symptoms