India’s ‘Triple Talaq’ bill:
Husband arrested in triple talaq case
Published: 01:39 PM, 17 August 2019
Indian police in Kerala on Friday arrested a man for triple talaq to his wife. The arrest was based on the Narendra Modi government's The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill.
This is the first-ever arrest in the southern state since the passage of Triple Talaq Bill. According to the bill, an instant triple talaq in any form -- spoken, in writing, or electronically, is illegal and void.
Speaking to IANS, a police officer attached to the Mukkom Police station near Kozhikode said a 34-year-old man - EK Hussam - was arrested.
"He was arrested following a warrant issued by a court in Thamarassery. Hussam had divorced his wife by pronouncing 'talaq' thrice on August 1," the police officer said, requesting anonymity.
"The woman then approached the court and filed a petition. Based on that, the court had issued an arrest warrant," he said.
The police officer said Hussam was presented before the Thamarassery court after his arrest on Friday.
The Triple Talaq Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on July 25, 2019, and by the Rajya Sabha on July 30, 2019.
Punishment for breach of the law by the husband could be up to three years of imprisonment.
- Chikon Kala: Jungal of insatiable demons
- Man City hit eight in Watford demolition
- `BNP’s politics centered on illness of Khaleda Zia`
- Over 100 arrested in Paris `yellow vest` protests
- Nawaz, Iftikhar return to Pakistan side for SL ODIs
- Taylor Swift cancels concert amid animal rights criticism
- Iran issues `battlefield` warning as US deploys troops
- Shakib star as Bangladesh win over Afghanistan
- Judge dies after eating Bidya’s cook food!
- Reason behind children’s happiness
- RAB’s drive in Chattogram’s three clubs
- ‘Action to be taken wherever irregularities found’
- 3 students die in Dinajpur boat capsize
- Bangladesh seals thrilling 5-run win against India
- Four died in West Bengal in NRC panic
- Bangladesh lost both openers
- Blind-deaf travels 130 countries
- Bangladesh restrict Afghanistan to 138
- Action against all if evidence found: HM
- 20-beds hospital still not launched in 14yrs
- Ways to prevent upper lips sweat
- JU admission test starts Sunday
- Murder accused killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president on 10-day remand
- Bus supervisor killed in Natore road crash
- Bangladesh opt to field
- Cops look for burqa woman taking Minni’s photos!
- Bangladesh starts U-18 SAFF championship with win
- Fairytale’s Hiramon
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean