`Humble` Mourinho not planning on big changes at Spurs
Published: 11:05 PM, 21 November 2019
Jose Mourinho is not planning on wholesale changes as he tries to turn Tottenham's season around and believes he is humble enough to have learned lessons from his failed spell in charge of Manchester United.
Mourinho replaced Mauricio Pochettino as Spurs boss on Wednesday after the Argentine's five-and-a-year spell ended in the sack with Tottenham 14th in the Premier League.
The Portuguese has won 25 trophies in a storied managerial career at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and United.
However, his time in charge at Old Trafford ended in the sack 11 months ago having failed to win the league at a club for the first time since he left Portuguese minnows Leiria to join Porto in 2002.
"I am humble enough to try to analyse my career. Not just the last year, my career, the evolution, the problems, the solutions," said Mourinho in his first press conference as Tottenham boss on Thursday.
"I was humble enough to do that. The principle of the analysis was not to blame anyone else."
Pochettino was let go less than six months after reaching the club's first ever Champions League final, but results domestically have been on the slide for nearly a year.
The Argentine had been keen for a bigger turnover of his squad in recent seasons to prevent his time in charge from growing stale.
However, Mourinho insisted he will not demand millions to spend in the transfer market.
"The potential of the club is huge, the potential of the players is great," added Mourinho.
"I don't need players, I am so happy with the players I have, I just need time to understand them better, to know everything about them.
"My gift is this squad, the squad is very, very good.
"One of the reasons I decided to come was them. I tried to buy some of them for different clubs, I couldn't. Some of them I didn't even try because you know how impossible it is."
A return of just three wins from their opening 12 Premier League games leaves Tottenham already playing catch up to qualify for the Champions League next season, 11 points adrift of the top four, and already 20 behind league leaders Liverpool.
Under Pochettino, Tottenham made huge progress to become Champions League regulars and compete at the upper echelons of the league, but failed to win a trophy.
Mourinho, though, believes they are capable of challenging for the Premier League title next season.
"We cannot win the Premier League this season. I'm not saying we will do, but we can win it next season," he added.
"If we win titles it will be not the consequence of me, but of the club's work, this is a package."
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- Dhaka set 135 for Rajshahi
- Ali Ajgar’s generosity for poor people
- Rain suspends play in Rawalpindi Test
- Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
- Today’s Sports on TV
- 33 detained in anti-narcotic drive
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Tragedies shouldn’t be heard at Hague’
- Myanmar people demo against state counselor
- US expects good result from ICJ: Miller
- Man accused in 13 cases killed in gunfight
- Keraniganj factory fire: Death toll climbs to 9
- Tight security at court premises
- Khaleda Zia’s bail hearing today
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey