Huawei willing to sign ‘no-spy’ agreements
Published: 03:51 PM, 15 May 2019 Updated: 03:52 PM, 15 May 2019
Huawei is "willing to sign no-spy agreements with governments" including the UK, its chairman Liang Hua said.
It follows concerns from some countries that China could use products made by the telecoms firm for surveillance.
The Chinese company has denied that its work poses any risks of espionage or sabotage.
Huawei has also said it is independent from the Chinese government, but some countries have blocked it from their 5G networks on national security grounds.
A recent report suggested the UK could allow Huawei's telecoms equipment to be part of the country's 5G networks, with some limitations.
"We are willing to sign no-spy agreements with governments, including the UK government, to commit ourselves to making our equipment meet the no-spy, no-backdoors standard," Liang Hua said via an interpreter at a business conference in London on Tuesday.
Huawei is the world's largest maker of telecoms equipment. It faces a growing backlash from Western countries on concerns over the security of its products used in next-generation 5G mobile networks.
Australia and New Zealand have both blocked the use of Huawei gear in their 5G mobile networks.
The US has restricted federal agencies from using Huawei products and has put pressure on allies to shun them.
On Wednesday, Reuters reported the US was likely to tighten restrictions on Huawei with President Donald Trump expected to sign an executive order this week barring US companies from using telecoms equipment made by firms that pose a national security risk.
The move would come at a time when US-China tensions are already on the rise.
The US more than doubled tariffs on $200bn (£154.9bn) of Chinese goods on Friday and China retaliated with its own tariff hikes on US products.
This escalated a damaging trade war which only recently seemed to be nearing a conclusion. – BBC
- Brazil records highest 27,312 daily coronavirus cases again
- Wife-children did not near to deceased in fear of coronavirus
- George Floyd had coronavirus
- Businessman died of coronavirus in Feni
- HC’s hearing on fare hike in public transport today
- Spain recorded one coronavirus death in four days
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Happy Birthday Angelina Jolie
- 6 sued over deaths in United Hospital fire
- Drive to check Dengue, Chikungunya begins June 6
- Child cries to get affection from COVID-19 infected father
- Jamalpur-2 MP tests positive for coronavirus
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 388,000 globally
- 26 more tested coronavirus positive in Bogura
- Elderly man died despite Police donate blood
- Wuhan tests nearly 10 million people, finds 300 cases
- Sylhet reports 55 fresh coronavirus cases
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Reserves cross $34 bn for first time amid coronavirus
- COVID-19 cases in Chattogram exceed 3,500
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 385,000 globally
- Fall in stock market on 4th working day
- Primary schools, kindergartens to remain closed till June 15
- 2 children drowned in Noakhali
- Global coronavirus deaths toll surpass 383,000
- Ministry asks for students-teachers’ info to develop TV class
- 140 stranded Bangladeshis return from Malaysia
- Tk 1.7lakhs charged for COVID-19 treatment, returned with apology
- 5 dead, 57 injured in chemical factory explosion in Gujarat
- Consumer rights protection DD Shahriar recovers from COVID-19
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO