Huawei CFO arrested in Canada, China demands release
Published: 07:26 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 07:26 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
China’s embassy in Canada criticized Canada and the United States on Thursday for wrongfully arresting a senior executive at Chinese telecoms giant Huawei and demanded her immediate release.
Meng Wanzhou, Huawei’s global chief financial officer, is facing extradition to the United States and her arrest could rekindle tensions between Washington and Beijing only days after they agreed to a ceasefire in a bitter trade war.
Meng was arrested in Canada on December 1. Her arrest is related to violations of US sanctions, a person familiar with the matter said. Reuters was unable to determine the precise nature of the violations.
The Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Canada said that it resolutely opposes Meng’s arrest and demands her immediate release.
“The Canadian police, at the request of the United States, arrested a Chinese citizen who had not violated any US or Canadian law,” the embassy said in a short statement on its website.
“China has already made solemn representations to the United States and Canada, demanding they immediately correct their wrong behavior and restore Ms Meng Wanzhou’s freedom.”
A court hearing has been set for Friday, a Canadian Justice Department spokesman said.
Meng is one of the vice chairs on the Chinese technology company’s board and the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei. Huawei is strategically important to China's ambitions in technology from 5G networks to chips.
Western governments are increasingly wary of what they say is possible Chinese state involvement in fifth-generation mobile and other communications networks. Huawei has insisted Beijing has no influence over the company.
Huawei’s smaller rival ZTE Corp had to temporarily halt much of its business earlier this year after the US imposed an export ban on the company related to it illegally shipping US-origin goods to Iran and North Korea.
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- How to enhance or suppress memories
- Theresa May profile
- Panchagarh Express maiden voyage tomorrow
- 20 student burnt to death in India
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Mother of two ‘gang raped’ in Noakhali
- We have fought having month-long fasting: AG Minister
- Lightning kills 3 in B’baria, Habiganj
- PM to open 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges tomorrow
- Terrible traffic jam in Rupganj
- Collapse risk of College boundary in Nalitabari
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- 300 orphan received PM’s Eid gifts
- Lightning kills three in Habiganj
- Injury scare for Eoin Morgan
- Tigers’ fan song ‘Cholo Bangladesh’ for World Cup composed
- High-security Ebola burials spark dismay, anger in DR Congo
- SpaceX launches first satellites of its internet network
- Mosque blast kills 2 in Pakistan
- British PM Theresa May announces to resign
- Itikaf: Significance and its virtues in Ramadan
- Sri Lanka to bowl first against SA
- Two country`s pending issues will be resolved: Quader
- Modi plots course after landslide Indian election win
- Kushtia Tailors passing busy time
- 3 more Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Jenner, Banderas, turn out for glitzy amfAR gala near Cannes
- Rain with gusty wind likely over country
- PCB bans wives and family from travelling with team
- All News »
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- `Final should not decide my future`
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Taskin in WC reserve squad finally
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Shakib-less Bangladesh opt to field
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar