Huawei CFO arrested in Canada, China demands release
Published: 07:26 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 07:26 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
China’s embassy in Canada criticized Canada and the United States on Thursday for wrongfully arresting a senior executive at Chinese telecoms giant Huawei and demanded her immediate release.
Meng Wanzhou, Huawei’s global chief financial officer, is facing extradition to the United States and her arrest could rekindle tensions between Washington and Beijing only days after they agreed to a ceasefire in a bitter trade war.
Meng was arrested in Canada on December 1. Her arrest is related to violations of US sanctions, a person familiar with the matter said. Reuters was unable to determine the precise nature of the violations.
The Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Canada said that it resolutely opposes Meng’s arrest and demands her immediate release.
“The Canadian police, at the request of the United States, arrested a Chinese citizen who had not violated any US or Canadian law,” the embassy said in a short statement on its website.
“China has already made solemn representations to the United States and Canada, demanding they immediately correct their wrong behavior and restore Ms Meng Wanzhou’s freedom.”
A court hearing has been set for Friday, a Canadian Justice Department spokesman said.
Meng is one of the vice chairs on the Chinese technology company’s board and the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei. Huawei is strategically important to China's ambitions in technology from 5G networks to chips.
Western governments are increasingly wary of what they say is possible Chinese state involvement in fifth-generation mobile and other communications networks. Huawei has insisted Beijing has no influence over the company.
Huawei’s smaller rival ZTE Corp had to temporarily halt much of its business earlier this year after the US imposed an export ban on the company related to it illegally shipping US-origin goods to Iran and North Korea.
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire