Hollywood legend Kirk Douglas dies at 103
Published: 03:08 PM, 6 February 2020
Young Kirk Douglas
Actor Kirk Douglas, one of the last giants of Hollywood’s golden age and the star of such classics as “Spartacus” and “Ace in the Hole”, has died on Wednesday. He was 103.
The stage and screen actor was well-known for a range of roles, including the 1960 classic Spartacus, in which he played the titular character.
Born in New York in 1916, he rose to prominence during Hollywood's "golden age", earning his first Oscar nomination for the 1949 film Champion.
He was also the father of Oscar-winning actor Michael Douglas.
"It is with tremendous sadness that my brothers and I announce that Kirk Douglas left us today," his son Michael said in a statement.
"To the world, he was a legend, an actor from the golden age of movies... but to me and my brothers Joel and Peter he was simply Dad," it read in part.
"Let me end with the words I told him on his last birthday and which will always remain true. Dad - I love you so much and I am so proud to be your son."
Michael's wife and Kirk's daughter-in-law, Welsh actress Catherine Zeta Jones, posted a photo of the two together, writing: "I shall love you for the rest of my life. I miss you already."\
Douglas was prolific as a film actor, with more than 90 credits to his name - ranging from the 1940s to the 2000s.
He is perhaps best-known for Spartacus, a Stanley Kubrick film which won four Oscars and was so popular that its iconic "I am Spartacus" scene entered the pop cultural lexicon.
Douglas was himself nominated for an Oscar three times - for Champion (1949), The Bad and the Beautiful (1952), and Lust for Life (1956). He eventually won the honorary award in 1996 in recognition of his 50 years in the industry.
He faced difficulties in his personal life. He narrowly survived a helicopter crash in 1991 that left two people dead. Five years later, he suffered a major stroke that affected his speech.
And in 2004, his son Eric died at the age of 46 of an accidental drug overdose.
In his later years, he turned his attention to charity. He donated millions of dollars to charitable causes and helped fund an Alzheimer's unit at a retirement home in Los Angeles.
World-famous director Steven Spielberg, who knew Douglas personally, told the Hollywood Reporter that he made a "breathtaking body of work".
"Kirk retained his movie star charisma right to the end of his wonderful life and I'm honoured to have been a small part of his last 45 years," Spielberg said.
After the news of his death broke, fans gathered at his star set in the ground on the Hollywood walk of fame.
- Army getting harder from today
- RPMP Police launches home delivery service
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 45,500
- Fake police caught demanding extortion
- Ctg woman who died in isolation ward tested negative for Covid-19
- 18 houses burnt in 20 minutes at Rohingya camp
- All courts to remain closed in 2nd phase holidays
- 4 woman killed in NY building fire
- Champions League suspended indefinitely
- Coronavirus infected woman journo shares 13 new symptoms
- Teenager dies in Bogura isolation
- Govt urges not to heed to rumors ‘If fever, police will take up’
- Helicopter`s door fallen down to house
- Masks, hand gloves increase coronavirus risks
- Housewife commits suicide in Bagerhat
- Dhaka returnee youth dies, no one went near fearing corona
- 2 die in DMCH isolation ward
- Dhaka-Ctg-Cox’s Bazar train by 2023
- 20,000 Brick-kiln workers still working in Singair
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- FIFA to help affected clubs
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Process begins to release 3000 inmates
- OC appeared at that woman’s residence
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Belarus ordered to stop football leagues
- WB to donate $350m to Bangladesh
- Former Marseille boss Pape Diouf dies of coronavirus
- Mass gatherings in relief distribution!
- Holiday expansion notice issued
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Corona death surging to 19000
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- Italy reports 683 more coronavirus deaths
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 11 killed as gunmen attack Sikh religious complex in Kabul
- UN urges to ease sanctions against countries fighting COVID-19
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium