Barbie turns 60
History of ‘Barbie’
Published: 01:24 PM, 2 January 2019 Updated: 01:24 PM, 2 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The iconic doll ‘Barbie’ is turning 60 in 2019. Here are a few key dates in the history of Barbie ---
March 9, 1959: Barbie makes her debut at the American Toy Fair in New York.
1961: Creation of Ken, Barbie’s on-off boyfriend. The two dolls are named for creator Ruth Handler’s children.
1965: Barbie becomes an astronaut, four years before Neil Armstrong walks on the Moon. To date, she has tried nearly 200 careers.
1965: Barbie gets bendable legs.
1967: The first celebrity Barbie is issued — in the form of British model Twiggy.
1968: Mattel markets the first black doll; a friend for Barbie named Christie. In 1980, the first Black Barbie is marketed.
1970: The first fully articulated Barbie is created.
1992: Barbie is a presidential candidate for the first time.
2004: Barbie dumps Ken for a surfer named Blaine, the brother of one of her friends. But the relationship only lasts a short time.
February 14, 2011: Ken officially returns to Barbie’s life.
2014: Mattel produces Ella, a bald friend of Barbie suffering from cancer. She is given free to children going through chemotherapy who have lost their hair.
2016: Barbie makes the front page of Time magazine when she is introduced in several new looks: tall, petite and curvy.
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- Al Shabaab raid kills 11 in Somalia
- BNP will face extinction like Jamaat: Hanif
- BKSP clicnh thrilling victory over Brother Union
- UK police arrested 104 yrs woman
- True-Meaning Wearable Displays
- SAU student killed; pushed off moving bus
- Butterfly numbers down: Study
- Nano-bot can probe inside human cells
- Chemical of old Dhaka is now residential area
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Panchbibi
- 15 Day training for upazila info service officers begins
- Step against entrants with arms in airport
- CSK to field first aginst RCB
- Two students killed in road crashes in Munshiganj, Gazipur
- Bangladesh Archery team to fly to Bangkok Sunday
- Quader talks to physician
- 3 brands to spend 250 crores on Aamir
- Many `march for love` in New Zealand as mosques reopen
- Rowshan deputy opposition in JS
- 19 drug dealers’ surrender in Feni
- Kamal visits Mosharraf Rubel
- 8 Indian nationals extradited
- Schoolboy killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Boro cultivation exceeds target in C’nawabganj
- Jet Airways hangs flight to Dhaka
- Modi greets Imran Khan on Pakistan National Day
- Taskin chooses World Cup over his prolonged career
- Minister for Human rights violation free Bangladesh
- One killed in Gazipur road crash
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed