Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
Published: 09:06 PM, 25 August 2019
One and only wholesale market of Barishal port road is now pomped with sea hilsa. Although there was not much import at the beginning of the season, in the middle it became huge. It made the wholesalers happy.
But the different scenario has seen in the river area. Fishermen are not getting expected fish caught in their net. So, revering fishermen are found disappointed.
The District Fisheries Department expects the hilsa production to be higher than last year. However, the fishermen cannot trust on this.
Many are moving away from this profession and looking for alternatives. However, those who are still in the profession are being dependent on loan. Looking forward to the golden time of silver hilsa.
It is learned that 101 families of Adarsha village in Chandramahan UP, Barishal Shadar totally live on fishing. 20 more fishermen communities in different Upazilas of the district are living such life.
Meanwhile, it has become impossible to taste the hilsa for low-income people as they are not being caught in the river. On the other hand, there are plenty of hilsas in the sea. And maximum of these spreading in the whole country including the capital. Although some hilsas are sold in the market, which is out of reach to many because of high price.
In the fish landing center of Barishal Port Road per mound, hilsa fishes are sold at different prices according to size variation. One kg size fishes are sold for Tk 44,000, LC Size (600-900 gram) for Tk 32-34,000, Velka (400-600 gram) for Tk 20,000-22,000 and Gotla (below 400 gram) in Tk 14,000. So consuming hilsa has become almost impossible for the people of Barishal, land of hilsa.
District Fisheries Officer Bimal Chandra Das said, that we have to wait for more to get hilsa in rivers. Due to the harsh weather, hilsa is not available in rivers. But the official is hopeful that at the end of the season plenty of hilsa will be possible to catch.
Israel Pandit, the President of the Bangladesh Small Fisheries Fisheries Association, said the catching hilsa in the sea has increased. But, in the case, the river is not like that. The estuaries of the river connected with the sea are not remained like before. In most places, the route for coming hilsa to river from the sea has been obstructed by drowning. As a result, hilsas are not been seen in the rivers.
- US shows evidence of Iran’s involvement in Saudi oil attacks
- PM receives APJ Kalam Memorial Award
- 4 officials promoted to senior secretaries
- Zinc factory in remote village!
- Rohingya terrorist detained with pistol from Balukhali camp
- Saudi clears multiple Umrah fine
- AL withdraws candidature for Rangpur-3 by-polls
- ‘Viqarunnisa principal can’t join before 11:00 am on Tuesday’
- Does your cream contain vitamin C?
- HC orders judicial inquiry against Puthia OC
- PM orders to form separate police unit for Metro Rail
- Spicy Fish Kabab
- Idol makers passing busy days in Khulna
- Sunerah in short film
- Youth kills brother for 10 bucks
- Kishoreganj Manik murder: 10 get life term
- 3000 Bangladeshi may lose citizenship in Italy!
- BRTC does not need corrupt officials: Quader
- Ronaldo tearful watching video of his father
- 10 tips to prevent diabetes
- Azhar’s appeal hearing anyday
- India arrests senior Kashmir leader
- Bangabandhu’s Chhatra League can`t be deviated: Joy-Lekhak
- Moushumi to fight for BFAA Presidency
- JU Scam: BNP demands VC’s removal
- ‘Post-rape’ wedding in PS: Probe body finds authenticity
- Defaulted loans: No release for FBL even renamed
- 203 dies of dengue so far
- NRC announced in Haryana, India
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- With one suicide every 40 seconds, WHO urges action
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- 5yrs without Firoza Begum
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Mishu new face in Tigers` T20 squad
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Nan Madol: Ghost City on sea
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Runa Laila for the 1st time in long music career
- Bribe-taking sub-registrar to be suspended
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Shakib prized Afghanistan
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday
- White House: A monstrous residence