Hili border cautious to prevent SI Akbar from leaving country...

Dhaka, Friday   23 October 2020

Hili border cautious to prevent SI Akbar from leaving country

 Dinajpur Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 01:14 PM, 17 October 2020  

File Photo

File Photo

Additional precautionary measures have been taken at the border to prevent SI Akbar, accused of killing Raihan under police torture, from escaping to India through the Hili border in Dinajpur.

Joypurhat-20 BGB Battalion Commander Lt. Colonel Ferdous Hasan Tito on Saturday confirmed the information.

BGB officer Ferdous Hasan Tito said, “Not only for that SI Akbar, we are always on alert at the border; as if there is no illegal crossing of the border. We work 24 hours a day at the border. No one will be able to go to India or come to Bangladesh from India using this route.”

Hili Immigration Checkpost authorities, meanwhile, said passenger crossings between the two countries through Hili Immigration Checkpost have been suspended due to coronavirus. So, there is no chance for anyone to go to India using this route.

Bandarbazar police arrested the youth named Raihan Uddin on Saturday (October 10) afternoon. Police tortured him at the outpost that night and demanded money to release him. Raihan's father received his son's call from an unknown mobile phone in the morning. Raihan said that money was being demanded to release him by keeping him in the outpost.

Raihan also requested his father to brought money and rescue him. When his father went to the outpost with money in the morning to save his son, he was informed that Raihan was sleeping now and had to come around 10 am. Later at around 10 am he was told to go to Sylhet Osmani Medical College. There he heard that his son is dead. Then he saw horrible signs of torture on Raihan’s body. Raihan's fingernails were also uprooted. Police later claimed that Raihan had been beaten to death by a mob on suspicion of kidnapping.

However, the footage of the city corporation did not match any evidence. The incident of inhumane torture of Raihan in police custody has been discussed in the media since Sunday. Tahmina Akhter Tani, wife of the deceased, has filed a murder case with Sylhet Kotwali Police Station. After filing the case, it was handed over to the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI).