Hasina doing what Khaleda couldn’t; says Quader
Published: 09:50 PM, 26 September 2019
Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader on Thursday said BNP should greet Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina as she started the ‘purification drive’ in her own party in contrast to Khaleda Zia.
Quader, also the Road Transport and Bridges Minister, claimed that Awami League’s popularity has sharply declined due to the current drive against corrupt and wrongdoers.
“The misdeeds like tender manipulation, extortion, corruption, drug peddling and terrorism had spread during BNP’s tenure, but they didn’t take any step against anyone of their party,” he told reporters at Osmani International Airport.
The minister further said, “Sheikh Hasina is doing what Khaleda Zia couldn’t do. So, BNP should congratulate the government for the ongoing drive.”
He called upon BNP leaders and activists not to criticize the government just for the sake of criticisms. “Come up with constructive criticisms.”
Quader said their government is carrying out the drive against drug, corruption, extortion and tender manipulation. “Awami League has initiated the drive from its own home (party).”
He alleged that BNP leaders are suffering from heartburn as Sheikh Hasina and her government’s popularity and acceptability to people have increased following the drive.
Later, the minister offered fateha at the shrines of Hazrat Shahjalal (RA).
He is scheduled to join a memorial meeting at Poet Nazrul Auditorium at Rikabi Bazar in the city in the afternoon.
Local Awami League is arranging the program in memory of late party leader ANM Shafiqul Haque.
Shafiqul Haque, former president of Sylhet Awami League (AL), died on August 14 last at the age of 74.
- Bus kills Nushrat in Noakhali
- Immigration through Tamabil border suspended
- Mahmudullah ready to change Chattogram’s fate
- Royals beat Thunder by 8 wickets
- Apex court’s new judges paid tribute to Bangabandhu
- Cumilla opt to bowl against Dhaka
- Over 22 Bangladeshi companies to participate in JITF ‘19
- Human chain protesting poor road construction
- ‘Bangabandhu’s actual history was barred to know till ’96’
- 2 ministers defer India visit for state bustle
- Martyred Intellectuals’ Day tomorrow
- World’s biggest cricket stadium takes shape in India
- Boris Johnson back in power, claims Brexit with big majority
- Rohit Sharma becomes La Liga brand ambassador
- Tulip Siddiq reelected in UK general election
- 47 detained in anti-drug drive
- Neymar rounding into form as Marseille give chase
- 22 executed in US this year
- 4 detained with yaba in Teknaf
- Mobile internet cut in Meghalaya, curfew in Shillong
- European media criticizes Myanmar State Councilor
- Decision on Rohingya genocide soon: ICJ president
- UK Election: Johnson ahead of the booth return survey
- BPL: Rajshahi, Sylhet, Dhaka, Cumilla to play today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash