Harbin, the world of Ice
Published: 10:56 PM, 9 October 2019
Have you ever heard a city full of ice-making sculpture? It may seem a bit strange to hear, but the fact is that it is possible to create a separate world, not just the sculpture with ice, but also the traditional houses. These houses made of ice are not only for traveling but also can be accessed if anyone wishes.
Such an ice state is situated in China's Harbin City. Originally it is a provincial city, but it has now become the capital of festivals around the world.
Harbin, the renowned 'Ice City', is located in the south of Heilongjiang Province, the most northeastern part of China with a shape of a swan when viewed on a map. Not only for the city's special position, but also as the center of Heilongjiang's political, economic, educational and cultural life, Harbin is described as the pearl beneath the swan's neck, and plays a vital role in communications between South and North Asia as well the regions of Europe and the Pacific Ocean.
Harbin is the birthplace of Jin and Qing Dynasties, the latter of which had a very considerable influence on modern Chinese history. At the end of the 19th century, Russia built the terminus of the Middle East Railway here. Later, more than 160,000 foreigners from 33 countries migrated to this place, promoting the development of a capitalist economy in the city.
With an average temperature of 16.8 °C (1.8 °F) during winter, it should come as no surprise that Harbin is well known for its ice and snow-related activities. The annual Ice and Snow Festival is one of the top 5 largest festivals of its kind on Earth, and it attracts thousands of tourists who brave the cold to take in the sights.
Every year, huge numbers of visitors flock to this city and the city has adapted itself to meet the needs of this great influx of tourists. Convenient transportation by air and water can ease your journeys and ensuring a comfortable way of either getting to or around the city. A large number of star-rated hotels with good services are available there.
The Ice Sculpture Festival was held for the first time in Harbin in 1985. Every year, millions of tourists from different countries of the world come to see this state made of ice.
It would be wrong to define Harbin only the state. In the winter, Harbin has a wonderful form that cannot be believed without enjoying it practically. The city furnished itself with beautiful sculptures like white crystals all around.
And at night, colored lights are applied in the sculptures. The city holds a wonderful form.
However, the interesting thing is that these houses made of ice and Disneyland are not just for the enjoyment of beauty. Rather, one can move around the house and Disneyland. At present, the competition has reached such a point that roadside ice can’t fulfill their demand. Ice is to be brought in from outside to make these sculptures.
The Harbin International Ice Sculpture Festival is open every year until February 28. It started as a local ice show in 1963. But it was banned after the Cultural Revolution of China. It was later reopened in the winter of 1985 to attract tourists. Currently, Harbin organizes this famous annual festival with three huge attractions.
These three huge attractions include the Harbin Ice Lantern Show. It was staged in the traditional Zhoulin Park where the original Ice Lantern Festival was celebrated in 1963. It has ancient ice lanterns art and structures.
Then there is the sculpture exhibit of Sun Island and International Ice Sculpture. These are two of Harbin's biggest attractions. There are over 50,000sqm of immense sculptures, parks, huge castles, buildings and so on.
All of this is made up of a combination of ice and snow. Although the park is open all day, it is most crowded at night. Because then thousands of colored LED lights are lit inside each ice sculpture in the park. And this lamp turns the park into a wonderful winter wonderland.
Each year the sculptures inspired by local folklore are trying to do something different. The inhabitants of Harbin's have proved that nothing is impossible in the world.
- Boris Johnson shifted to ICU
- France records nearly 9000 deaths in coronavirus infection
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 10, 000 in US
- Coronavirus death toll surging to 74000
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 72 thousand
- BGMEA, BKMEA urge factory owners to pay wages by Apr 16
- MP distributes food items among 5,000 families
- Coronavirus patient detected in Narsingdi
- Rangamati Zilla Parishad to distribute relief to 1,500 families
- Haldarpara goes into lockdown voluntarily
- Irfan-Yusuf distribute 10t rice, 700 kg potato
- Fine for reasonless roaming
- ‘Govt order on mosque correct and veritable’
- Siam-Pori return home finally
- 80 Bangladeshi expats die of coronavirus
- 18 more samples tested in Chattogram
- Illegal sand lifting amid coronavirus
- Free vegetable markets in Ctg alleys
- 2 former cricketers died
- COVID-19 patients in India rises to 4,553 with 118 death tolls
- Javed is out of danger
- Cabinet orders law enforcers to strictly enforce social distancing
- 9 Tablig members quarantined at mosque
- 905 families get food aid in Godagari
- Elderly man dies at isolation in Chattogram
- Online class facilities for HSC students
- 2 youth in isolation in Habiganj
- Only IEDCR’s information correct: DGHS
- All shops except pharmacies to close by 7pm
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Army to go tough from today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- John Prine critically ill with coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US singer Joe Diffie dies of coronavirus
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Nobel Prize winner Malala in quarantine
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- US experienced highest death record in a day