Happy Birthday to ‘Pop Somrat’
Published: 01:45 PM, 28 February 2019
Mohammed Mahbubul Haque Khan, one of the pioneers of pop music in Bangladesh. But he is known to all as Azam Khan. He was a lyricist, musician, and singer. Today is the 69th birthday of Azam Khan who became unimaginably popular to the people of the country. ‘Happy Birthday’ Guru.
He shook a generation after independence in Bangladesh. Azam Khan received great popularity not only in Bangladesh but also on entire sub-continent. That’s why Azam Khan is also known as ‘Pop Somrat’.
Azam Khan established a band named ‘Uccharon’ after 1971. Uccharon’s song creates a great stir in the world of music. There, with Azam Khan, his friend Nilu and Mansur played the guitar, Sadek played drum and Azam Khan was the main vocal.
On this day in 1950, Azam Khan was born in the government quarter of Azimpur Colony 10. His full name is Mahbubul Haque Khan. His father Aftab Uddin Ahmed and mother Jobeda Khatun. He spent five years in his Azimpur colony. They were 4 brothers and one sister. In 1955, he was first admitted to Dhaka`s Dhakeswari School. In 1956, when his father made his house at Kamlapur, he went there and joined the family.
Azam Khan’s career started at the beginning of the sixties. After 1971, his bands and Akhanda (Lucky Akhand and Happy Akhand) brothers made a huge stir in the world of music. His friend Nilu and Mansur in guitar, Sadek in drums and himself became the main vocal ceremony.
Khan was a Freedom Fighter. He fought in Sector 2 under Brigadier Khaled Mosharraf in the Liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971. After the war, he entered the music arena. He founded the band Uchcharan in 1972. His first concert was broadcast in 1972 on Bangladesh Television.
On the other hand, there was an organization started working on him and his song on ‘Shilpi Azam Khan Foundation’. But due to the complexity and financial crisis caused by the Chairman and Membership of the Foundation, all the activities were postponed for the year (2017) and adjourned. According to the information, the chairman of the foundation is Azam Khan’s daughter Ima Khan.
About his career, singer-musician-composer Habib Wahid said the history of Bangladeshi Rock Music began with Azam Khan. His songs were very popular in the post-independence Bangladesh, and they haven`t lost their appeal at all. Pop star Mila said Azam Khan introduced this genre [Rock] to Bangladeshis. Singer Biplob said that Bengali pop music is synonymous with Azam Khan and ‘He is our guru’.
The legend’s date of birth and death is now limited to the calendar page. In the context, Azam Khan’s friend musician Fakir Alamgir has complained about the issue. During the mass upsurge of 1969, Azam Khan took the position against the Pakistani ruling regime. He was an active member of the Trinity Artist group and campaigned against the exploitation of Pakistani rulers.
In 1970, he passed the HSC in the Commerce Department from T&T College. In 1971, Azam Khan took part in the liberation war. The first straight fight occurred in Cumilla’s Salda. Azam Khan was in charge of a section of two number sectors. He took part in several guerrilla attacks in Dhaka and surrounding areas as a section commander.
After the Liberation War, Azam Khan founded the rock band ‘Uchcharan’ in 1972 which stir into the world of music. That year, he was very much appreciated by broadcasting two songs on BTV in his ‘Eto Sundor Duniyay Kisu Roibe Na Re’ and ‘Chaar Kalema Sakkhi Dibe’. Later, Azam Khan gave a song ‘Rail Line Er Oi Bostite’ on BTV.
Some of his biggest hits are ‘Ore Saleka, Ore Maleka’, ‘Jibone Kichhu Pabona Re’, ‘Ami Jare Chaire’, ‘Ashi Ashi Bole Tumi’, ‘Obhimani’, ‘Hei Allah Hei Allah Re’, ‘Alal O Dulal’ etc.
Azam Khan has done a number of well-known works in the country’s media beyond the songs. In 1986, he played a drama titled ‘Kala Baul’ and in a drama of Hiraman, and in 2003, he played the role of ‘Godfather’ directed by Shahin-Suman. In 2003, he became the model in Crown Energy Drink advertisement. In 2010, he was also modeled on Cobra Energy Drink advertising.
On 14 January 1981, Azam Khan got married to Saheda Begum. The legend lived alone after his wife’s death. He is the father of two daughters and one son. Eldest daughter Ima Khan, elder son Hridoy Khan and younger daughter Arani Khan. In 1982, his first cassette was called ‘Ek Jug’. Then several cassettes and CDs were marketed. His first CD came out on December 3, 1999, in the production of Disco Recording.
In 2010, he was suffering from cancer. This ‘Pop Somrat’ died on June 5, 2011. He was buried in the Shaheed intellectual graveyard in Mirpur.
- S Korea`s young men are fighting against feminism
- Hong Kong protesters trash subway station, stage mall rally
- 19 arrested from 3 Spa centers at Gulshan-1
- Nasima Begum appointed NHRC Chairman
- Houthi rebels in Yemen say they will stop attacks on Saudi Arabia
- 5 JMB men sentenced 12 yrs jail for Khilkhet bomb attack
- 16 years friendship or something!
- U-19 cricket team leaves for NZ Monday
- Couple becomes millionaire by cheating
- Live crocodile in pond!
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Daughter demands info on Mehbooba Mufti’s arrest
- Huge Typhoon Tapah threatens Japan, South Korea
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Puja Cherry got married!
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing