Happy Birthday to ‘Pop Somrat’
Published: 01:45 PM, 28 February 2019
Mohammed Mahbubul Haque Khan, one of the pioneers of pop music in Bangladesh. But he is known to all as Azam Khan. He was a lyricist, musician, and singer. Today is the 69th birthday of Azam Khan who became unimaginably popular to the people of the country. ‘Happy Birthday’ Guru.
He shook a generation after independence in Bangladesh. Azam Khan received great popularity not only in Bangladesh but also on entire sub-continent. That’s why Azam Khan is also known as ‘Pop Somrat’.
Azam Khan established a band named ‘Uccharon’ after 1971. Uccharon’s song creates a great stir in the world of music. There, with Azam Khan, his friend Nilu and Mansur played the guitar, Sadek played drum and Azam Khan was the main vocal.
On this day in 1950, Azam Khan was born in the government quarter of Azimpur Colony 10. His full name is Mahbubul Haque Khan. His father Aftab Uddin Ahmed and mother Jobeda Khatun. He spent five years in his Azimpur colony. They were 4 brothers and one sister. In 1955, he was first admitted to Dhaka`s Dhakeswari School. In 1956, when his father made his house at Kamlapur, he went there and joined the family.
Azam Khan’s career started at the beginning of the sixties. After 1971, his bands and Akhanda (Lucky Akhand and Happy Akhand) brothers made a huge stir in the world of music. His friend Nilu and Mansur in guitar, Sadek in drums and himself became the main vocal ceremony.
Khan was a Freedom Fighter. He fought in Sector 2 under Brigadier Khaled Mosharraf in the Liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971. After the war, he entered the music arena. He founded the band Uchcharan in 1972. His first concert was broadcast in 1972 on Bangladesh Television.
On the other hand, there was an organization started working on him and his song on ‘Shilpi Azam Khan Foundation’. But due to the complexity and financial crisis caused by the Chairman and Membership of the Foundation, all the activities were postponed for the year (2017) and adjourned. According to the information, the chairman of the foundation is Azam Khan’s daughter Ima Khan.
About his career, singer-musician-composer Habib Wahid said the history of Bangladeshi Rock Music began with Azam Khan. His songs were very popular in the post-independence Bangladesh, and they haven`t lost their appeal at all. Pop star Mila said Azam Khan introduced this genre [Rock] to Bangladeshis. Singer Biplob said that Bengali pop music is synonymous with Azam Khan and ‘He is our guru’.
The legend’s date of birth and death is now limited to the calendar page. In the context, Azam Khan’s friend musician Fakir Alamgir has complained about the issue. During the mass upsurge of 1969, Azam Khan took the position against the Pakistani ruling regime. He was an active member of the Trinity Artist group and campaigned against the exploitation of Pakistani rulers.
In 1970, he passed the HSC in the Commerce Department from T&T College. In 1971, Azam Khan took part in the liberation war. The first straight fight occurred in Cumilla’s Salda. Azam Khan was in charge of a section of two number sectors. He took part in several guerrilla attacks in Dhaka and surrounding areas as a section commander.
After the Liberation War, Azam Khan founded the rock band ‘Uchcharan’ in 1972 which stir into the world of music. That year, he was very much appreciated by broadcasting two songs on BTV in his ‘Eto Sundor Duniyay Kisu Roibe Na Re’ and ‘Chaar Kalema Sakkhi Dibe’. Later, Azam Khan gave a song ‘Rail Line Er Oi Bostite’ on BTV.
Some of his biggest hits are ‘Ore Saleka, Ore Maleka’, ‘Jibone Kichhu Pabona Re’, ‘Ami Jare Chaire’, ‘Ashi Ashi Bole Tumi’, ‘Obhimani’, ‘Hei Allah Hei Allah Re’, ‘Alal O Dulal’ etc.
Azam Khan has done a number of well-known works in the country’s media beyond the songs. In 1986, he played a drama titled ‘Kala Baul’ and in a drama of Hiraman, and in 2003, he played the role of ‘Godfather’ directed by Shahin-Suman. In 2003, he became the model in Crown Energy Drink advertisement. In 2010, he was also modeled on Cobra Energy Drink advertising.
On 14 January 1981, Azam Khan got married to Saheda Begum. The legend lived alone after his wife’s death. He is the father of two daughters and one son. Eldest daughter Ima Khan, elder son Hridoy Khan and younger daughter Arani Khan. In 1982, his first cassette was called ‘Ek Jug’. Then several cassettes and CDs were marketed. His first CD came out on December 3, 1999, in the production of Disco Recording.
In 2010, he was suffering from cancer. This ‘Pop Somrat’ died on June 5, 2011. He was buried in the Shaheed intellectual graveyard in Mirpur.
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat