HC upholds verdict in journo Atik murder case
Published: 03:16 PM, 8 December 2019 Updated: 04:31 PM, 8 December 2019
The High Court (HC) upheld a trial court verdict that sentenced a convict to death and two others for life term imprisonment in the NTV video editor Atikul Islam Atik murder case.
The death-row convict is Md Shakil Shikder while the two lifers are Abdullah Mohammad Ibne Ali Sarker alias Nahid and Md Forkan.
A High Court bench of Justice Shahidul Karim and Justice Md Akhtaruzzaman delivered the judgment on Sunday. Lawyer Zahirul Haque Zahir stood for the accused in the court while Assistant Attorney General Md. Mehedi Hasan stood for the state.
Earlier on December 5, the court set today to deliver its verdict after hearing the death reference and petitions filed by convicts against the lower court sentence.
According to the case statement, Atiq, 32, a video editor of private television channel NTV, was returning home by a motorcycle on February 13, 2009, after office hours when some miscreants swooped on him with guns.
They shot him and snatched his motorcycle from Moghbazar rail crossing area. Later, he was taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
On February 14, Victim’s elder brother Md Abu Bakar Siddik filed a case with Ramna Police Station.
Detective Branch Inspector Abul Khayer, also investigation officer of the case, submitted a charge-sheet against four accused on August 9, 2009.
On June 24, 2014, a court sentenced Shakil to the death penalty and Nahid and Md Forkan to life imprisonment in the murder case.
- Mummy’s ‘voice’ heard 3000 years after death
- Youth held with foreign pistol
- Is Aishwarya ‘pregnant’ again?
- 7° Celsius, country’s lowest temperature in Kurigram
- 3 killed as bus hits tree in Habiganj
- AL Central Working Committee visits Tungipara today
- Twitter adds emoji reactions to Direct Message
- Mirpur slum fire doused after 2 hrs
- Coronavirus affected Indian nurse identified in Saudi
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- AL to pay homage to Bangabandhu at Tungipara
- Chinese New Year gala celebrated
- 19 killed in south Sudan tribal clashes
- No national channel to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- FM hoping for millstone in remittance growth
- Bangladeshi Omar Ishrak named Intel Chairman
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport to be launched today
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse