HC stays BNP’s Jashore-2 contestant’s conviction, sentence
Published: 07:48 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 07:48 PM, 29 November 2018
Sabira Sultana; File Photo
The High Court on Thursday stayed the conviction and sentence of BNP candidate from Jashore-2 constituency Sabira Sultana in a graft case, clearing the way for her participation in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
A single-member HC bench of Justice Md Rais Uddin passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Sabira, also a former chairman of Jhikargachha upazila parishad.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali and Advocate Aminul Islam stood for Sabira while Advocate Baizid Ahmed represented the Anti-Corruption Commission.
Aminul Islam said with the HC order, there is no legal bar to his client’s participation in the general election billed for December 30.
Earlier, another HC bench expressed its unwillingness to hear Sabira’s appeal seeking a stay on her conviction and sentence. Later, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain assigned the single-member bench to dispose of the appeal.
On July 12 last, the Special Judge Court-7 awarded six-year imprisonment to Sabira Sultana and fined her Tk 5,000 in a case filed for amassing illegal wealth.
The ACC filed the case on July 20, 2010, with Dhanmondi Police Station.
- 4 more devotees die in 2nd phase Ijtema
- 2nd-day ‘Aam Bayan’ ongoing
- Abdul Mannan’s namaz-e-janaza on Monday
- Picnic bus fell into ditch injures 30 in Cox’s Bazar
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Hero Alam wants to marry Popy!
- After bushfires, Australia now deals with floods!
- World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa dies at 27
- Obaidul Quader mourns death of MP Mannan
- 560-pound IS leader ‘Jabba the Jihadi’ captured in Iraq
- U-19 World Cup: Aus faces WI today
- PM mourns death of MP Mannan
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Oman Sultan Qaboos dies at 79
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Teachers-guardians’ help for cheat in exam shameful: President
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Heitham Bin Tariq sworn in as Oman’s new Sultan
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- 11 killed in US storm-flood
- Thousands of devotees walking to Turag
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child