HC stays BNP contestant’s conviction, sentence
Published: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018
The High Court on Thursday stayed the conviction and sentence of BNP candidate from Jashore-2 constituency Sabira Sultana in a graft case, clearing the way for her participation in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
A single-member HC bench of Justice Md Rais Uddin passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Sabira, also former chairman of Jhikargachha Upazila Parishad.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali and Advocate Aminul Islam stood for Sabira while Advocate Bayezid Ahmed represented the Anti-Corruption Commission.
Aminul Islam said with the HC order, there is no legal bar to his client's participation in the general election billed for December 30.
Earlier, another HC bench expressed its unwillingness to hear Sabira's appeal seeking a stay on her conviction and sentence. Later, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain assigned the single-member bench to dispose of the appeal.
On July 12 last, the Special Judge Court-7 awarded six-year imprisonment to Sabira Sultana and fined her Tk 5,000 in a case filed for amassing illegal wealth.
The ACC filed the case on July 20, 2010 with Dhanmondi Police Station.
However, the High Court on November 27 dismissed separate petitions filed by five BNP leaders -- Amanullah Aman, Dr AZM Zahid, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan, Abdul Wahab and Mashiur Rahman -- seeking stay on their conviction and sentence.
The court also observed that people who are convicted and jailed for over two years' imprisonment in any graft case with appeal pending would not be allowed to contest elections.
It also said they would be able to contest the polls if the Appellate Division stays the conviction or grants bail to the convicts.
The BNP leaders filed the petitions on Monday seeking stay orders on the lower court verdicts in the graft cases filed against them.
However, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Wednesday did not respond to a petition filed by Dr AZM Zahid Hossain challenging the High Court order.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves