HC stays BNP contestant’s conviction, sentence
Published: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018
The High Court on Thursday stayed the conviction and sentence of BNP candidate from Jashore-2 constituency Sabira Sultana in a graft case, clearing the way for her participation in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
A single-member HC bench of Justice Md Rais Uddin passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Sabira, also former chairman of Jhikargachha Upazila Parishad.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali and Advocate Aminul Islam stood for Sabira while Advocate Bayezid Ahmed represented the Anti-Corruption Commission.
Aminul Islam said with the HC order, there is no legal bar to his client's participation in the general election billed for December 30.
Earlier, another HC bench expressed its unwillingness to hear Sabira's appeal seeking a stay on her conviction and sentence. Later, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain assigned the single-member bench to dispose of the appeal.
On July 12 last, the Special Judge Court-7 awarded six-year imprisonment to Sabira Sultana and fined her Tk 5,000 in a case filed for amassing illegal wealth.
The ACC filed the case on July 20, 2010 with Dhanmondi Police Station.
However, the High Court on November 27 dismissed separate petitions filed by five BNP leaders -- Amanullah Aman, Dr AZM Zahid, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan, Abdul Wahab and Mashiur Rahman -- seeking stay on their conviction and sentence.
The court also observed that people who are convicted and jailed for over two years' imprisonment in any graft case with appeal pending would not be allowed to contest elections.
It also said they would be able to contest the polls if the Appellate Division stays the conviction or grants bail to the convicts.
The BNP leaders filed the petitions on Monday seeking stay orders on the lower court verdicts in the graft cases filed against them.
However, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Wednesday did not respond to a petition filed by Dr AZM Zahid Hossain challenging the High Court order.
- Unauthorized clinics increasing in Rangpur city
- Terrorist detained with arms in Joypurhat
- Russia supports Iran`s permanent membership in SCO
- Channels to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- EU may face ‘terror threats’ if Libyan govt falls: Erdogan
- PM for expanding number of fast track projects
- Housewife killed in Dinajpur road crash
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in capital
- Drug dealer detained in Chattogram
- Benefits of using lemon water in bath
- Sumon plays Assistant Police Commissioner role
- Revised routine for SSC exams published
- Motorcyclist killed in Naogaon road crash
- PM takes responsibility of ailing Andrew Kishore
- Bangladesh into Bangabandhu Gold Cup semis
- Mobile operators aren’t solving even half of the complaints
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in B’baria
- Papan to visit Pakistan with cricketers
- Make ‘smashed pickle-eggplant’ with in 5min
- 24 devotees died in two-phase Ijtema
- Shakib distributes blanket to poor
- Facebook sorry for mistranslation of Xi Jinping’s name
- Taposh gets huge response from city dwellers
- 7 Missing in Nepal snowfall
- 8 dead in blaze at Czech asylum for mentally ill
- Why a child rapist shouldn’t be executed: HC
- Charge sheet against Mizan, Basir submitted
- Prova married Intekhab Dinar
- 10 children die of mysterious disease in Jammu and Kashmir
- HC for committee to supply anti-rape device
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- DU expels 63 students for life
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Protests in Iran demanding Khamenei`s resignation
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked