HC stays BNP contestant’s conviction, sentence
Published: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018
The High Court on Thursday stayed the conviction and sentence of BNP candidate from Jashore-2 constituency Sabira Sultana in a graft case, clearing the way for her participation in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
A single-member HC bench of Justice Md Rais Uddin passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Sabira, also former chairman of Jhikargachha Upazila Parishad.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali and Advocate Aminul Islam stood for Sabira while Advocate Bayezid Ahmed represented the Anti-Corruption Commission.
Aminul Islam said with the HC order, there is no legal bar to his client's participation in the general election billed for December 30.
Earlier, another HC bench expressed its unwillingness to hear Sabira's appeal seeking a stay on her conviction and sentence. Later, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain assigned the single-member bench to dispose of the appeal.
On July 12 last, the Special Judge Court-7 awarded six-year imprisonment to Sabira Sultana and fined her Tk 5,000 in a case filed for amassing illegal wealth.
The ACC filed the case on July 20, 2010 with Dhanmondi Police Station.
However, the High Court on November 27 dismissed separate petitions filed by five BNP leaders -- Amanullah Aman, Dr AZM Zahid, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan, Abdul Wahab and Mashiur Rahman -- seeking stay on their conviction and sentence.
The court also observed that people who are convicted and jailed for over two years' imprisonment in any graft case with appeal pending would not be allowed to contest elections.
It also said they would be able to contest the polls if the Appellate Division stays the conviction or grants bail to the convicts.
The BNP leaders filed the petitions on Monday seeking stay orders on the lower court verdicts in the graft cases filed against them.
However, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Wednesday did not respond to a petition filed by Dr AZM Zahid Hossain challenging the High Court order.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire