HC stays BNP contestant’s conviction, sentence
Published: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:05 PM, 29 November 2018
The High Court on Thursday stayed the conviction and sentence of BNP candidate from Jashore-2 constituency Sabira Sultana in a graft case, clearing the way for her participation in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
A single-member HC bench of Justice Md Rais Uddin passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Sabira, also former chairman of Jhikargachha Upazila Parishad.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali and Advocate Aminul Islam stood for Sabira while Advocate Bayezid Ahmed represented the Anti-Corruption Commission.
Aminul Islam said with the HC order, there is no legal bar to his client's participation in the general election billed for December 30.
Earlier, another HC bench expressed its unwillingness to hear Sabira's appeal seeking a stay on her conviction and sentence. Later, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain assigned the single-member bench to dispose of the appeal.
On July 12 last, the Special Judge Court-7 awarded six-year imprisonment to Sabira Sultana and fined her Tk 5,000 in a case filed for amassing illegal wealth.
The ACC filed the case on July 20, 2010 with Dhanmondi Police Station.
However, the High Court on November 27 dismissed separate petitions filed by five BNP leaders -- Amanullah Aman, Dr AZM Zahid, Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan, Abdul Wahab and Mashiur Rahman -- seeking stay on their conviction and sentence.
The court also observed that people who are convicted and jailed for over two years' imprisonment in any graft case with appeal pending would not be allowed to contest elections.
It also said they would be able to contest the polls if the Appellate Division stays the conviction or grants bail to the convicts.
The BNP leaders filed the petitions on Monday seeking stay orders on the lower court verdicts in the graft cases filed against them.
However, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Wednesday did not respond to a petition filed by Dr AZM Zahid Hossain challenging the High Court order.
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- War would mean ‘end’ of Iran: Trump
- Snatcher killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Quader returns home this evening
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg
- Tigers storm into final with emphatic win
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today