HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
Published: 10:44 PM, 23 May 2019
The High Court on Thursday has directed the Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI) to submit its lab test reports conducted on 93 more food items to this court on June 16.
The BSTI has recently tested a total of 406 food items and published reports of 313 in which 52 items were found substandard. The BSTI has not yet published the test reports conducted on 93 food items.
The court also ordered the BSTI to conduct a further test of the quality of food items among 52 if any one of those companies wants to go for further marketing and to submit the rest test report to the court by June 13.
The HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Razik-Al-Jalil passed the order during hearing a writ petition filed by Supreme Court lawyer Barrister Shihab Uddin Khan seeking necessary order to stop production, marketing and selling substandard food items and remove them from markets.
Barrister Shihab Uddin submitted a petition to the HC today to direct the BSTI to submit the lab test reports conducted on 93 more food items to this court as those have not published yet.
Meanwhile, ACI, Pran, and Kashem Food companies have submitted separate petitions to the HC praying it to modify its May 12 order and allow them to produce and sell those products in the markets.
In the petitions, they claimed that their products are not substandard but the court, however, did not accept their petitions, Barrister Shihab Uddin told newsmen.
Following the same writ petition, the HC on May 12 directed the government to immediately remove 52 food items from the market as those have been found substandard by BSTI.
“If necessary, the state may declare an emergency for preventing food adulteration,” the HC made the observation, adding that food adulteration cannot be tolerated and there can be no compromise with the issue.
“We urge the government, the ruling party and the prime minister to declare war on food adulteration the way it was done in case of narcotics,” the HC has said in its previous order.
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5