Rooppur Housing Project
HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
Published: 03:47 PM, 20 May 2019 Updated: 06:22 PM, 20 May 2019
The High Court has ordered to submit the inquiry report of two committees of Ministry of Housing and Public Works to investigate allegations of corruption against the Green City housing project at Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant.
On Monday, the High Court bench comprising Justice Tariq ul Hakim and Justice Md. Suhrawardy passed the order.
Barrister Syed Sayedul Haque Sumon was in the hearing on behalf of the court writ. Attorney General Mahbubey Alam was present for the state.
Earlier, on May 19, a writ petition filed by Barrister Syed Sayedul Haque Sumon with the High Court seeking a judicial inquiry on corruption in Green City housing project at Rooppur nuclear power plant.
In the writ, Secretary of the Ministry of Housing and Public Works, Secretary of the Ministry of Science and Technology, and six others have been made defendants.
ACC to inquire the purchase of furniture at an unusual price for 110 flats of the Green City project of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant. In order to inquire about the incident from the Ministry of Housing and Public Works, the Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department has been directed to form a committee.
In the inquiry of the ministry, if the allegation of corruption is proved, the ACC will be given the investigation report for taking departmental and legal action against the accused.
During the hearing, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam opposed the writ petition saying that the housing ministry already formed two separate inquiry committees to conduct the inquiry into the reported irregularities in purchasing furniture and other household products for Rooppur plant’s officials and employees.
At this stage, the HC should not interfere in the matter, the attorney general said.
In the country’s first nuclear power plant, Green City project is being discussed and criticized all over the country for purchasing furniture and utility material of 110 flat buildings of 20 and 16 storey buildings at a high cost.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia