HC orders to suspend pension of cancer hospital’s former director
Published: 02:53 PM, 2 January 2020 Updated: 08:30 PM, 2 January 2020
The High Court (HC) on Thursday directed to suspend the retirement facilities of recently retired National Institute of Cancer Research and Hospital (NICRH) director Prof Dr Md Moarraf Hossen for negligence in preserving and protecting the equipment including of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the hospital.
The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order taking into account a newspaper report on the sorry state of the ICU.
The court also issued a suo moto (voluntary) rule, to form a committee to conduct an enquiry into the allegations of negligence of NICRH authorities in purchasing and preserving the treatment equipment for the hospital.
In the rule, the court ordered the health secretary, director-general of Directorate of Health Services (DGHS) and Dr Moarraf to explain why the inactivity of the hospital authorities should not be declared illegal for keeping modern equipment uncared for.
The committee has been asked to submit the probe report before HC in 30 days.
A report was published on an English daily today under a headline 'ICU on sickbed'. SC lawyers Monoj Kumar Bhowmik and M Emdadul Haq brought the report to the court’s notice. Later, the court passed the order and issued the rule on the suo moto move.
According to the report, published on English daily, "Eight high-end ventilators (each costing Tk 70 lakh) procured 12 years ago had been gathering dust. The ventilators were not used even when a central oxygen system was installed more than three years ago. The motherboards of the ventilators had been stolen."
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- Experience the world with Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- 6 of same family receive burn injury in Sirajganj
- Sheikh Hasina pushes country forward, others retreat
- Malaysia to form new government!
- Fake BGB member detained in Dinajpur
- Carter Center delegation calls on Chief Information Commissioner
- Qatar expat Bangladeshi`s body found in friend`s refrigerator!
- 3 held with yaba in DU residential building
- 4 detained with phensidyl in Sirajganj
- President asks Army to get ready for supreme sacrifice
- Youth held in anti-narcotic drive in Sylhet
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- 1 detained with weed in Cumilla
- Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran
- Officials have to reach farmers’ doors: Abdur Razzak
- South Zone in command as Farhad hits ton
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation
- 2 CoU students join SAUFEST-2020
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in Rangpur
- DMP detained 54 in anti-narcotic drive
- Handsome salary for less educated!
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Capital
- Youth detained with yaba in Manikganj
- 1 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- Two rookies in ODI squad
- GP pays Tk 1,000 crore to BTRC
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar