HC for installation of fire extinguishers in all motor vehicles
Published: 05:39 PM, 22 May 2019
The High Court on Wednesday issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain why directives would not be given to install fire extinguishers in all modes of public and private vehicles.
The rule also sought explanation as to why directives would not be given to make fire-extinguishing system mandatory while giving route permits for buses and minibuses.
The HC bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader came up with the rule following a writ petition filed in the form of public interest litigation.
The secretaries to Road Transport and Highways division and home ministry, chairman of Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA), Director General of Fire Service and Civil Defence and Inspector General of Police have been made respondents to the rule.
Syed Misbahul Anwar stood for the writ petitioner while deputy attorney general barrister ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar for the state.
Advocate Abul Barakat Mohammad Sazzad and Al Bari Sohel filed the writ with newspaper reports on fire incidents that took place in vehicles in the recent past.
According to the reports, a fire broke out in Nur-Al-Makkah bus in Bashundhara Residential area on March 29. On February 10, 2018, another fire broke out in another bus at Banani.
On February 20, at least eight people were injured as a fire broke out in a Gabtoli-bound bus No 7 at Dhanmondi from a gas-line. On January 5, 2018, yet another fire broke out in a bus of Raida Paribahan at Farmgate following a gas cylinder blast which left 12 passengers injured. Besides, at least 15 people were injured following a fire at a BRTC double-decker bus in Savar on June 24, 2017.
The lawyers said around 2.50 lakh CNG-run vehicles are plying roads without having their gas cylinders tested and those are now vulnerable to fire.
BRTA issued an order on March 2, 2017 for using fire-extinguishing system in motor vehicles as per the Motor Vehicles Ordinance 1983 and that has to be ensured while providing route permits for buses and minibuses.
But this order is hardly ensured, said the lawyers.
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- BNP hatching conspiracy to create anarchy: Nasim
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
- Laser technique could unlock use of tough material
- Youths to provide jobs instead of looking for employment: Palak
- Evolution of Puppy Dog eyes
- ‘Sinking’ Mughal-era mosque attracts visitors!
- President visits Imam Bukhari (R) mazar
- Atiqul wants to work for children
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- `Please don`t use bad words for players`: Amir to fans
- No charge for client on ‘bKash- Rocket’ balance check
- Fine, if ads on city’s wall, trees!
- Youth ‘kills mother, rapes daughter’
- Mash reluctant to talk about retirement
- Morgan breaks record with six-hitting, England post 397
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Betna River can be crossed walking
- HC orders ‘stern action’ against chemical use in fruits
- Kalyanpur petrol pump fire doused
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- ECNEC approves 11 projects involving Tk 8,052cr
- HM explains posting of Addl SP to Thana as OC
- Massive fire breaks out at Kalyanpur petrol pump
- Trump wants to deport millions US residents
- Give your helping hand for meritorious student`s treatment
- Gold, silver price abated
- GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- JS budget session begins today
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20