HC directs Dr Yunus to surrender by Nov 7
Published: 02:04 PM, 28 October 2019 Updated: 04:10 PM, 28 October 2019
Dr Muhammad Yunus
The High Court has directed Dr Muhammad Yunus to surrender to the lower court at a convenient time within November 7.
On Monday, the High Court bench comprising Justice Moinul Islam Chowdhury and Justice Khondaker Diliruzzaman passed the order.
Barrister Rokanuddin Mahmud was heard in favor of Dr Yunus while Deputy Attorney General Saifuddin Khaled was heard for the state.
Earlier, another bench of the High Court directed not to arrest Dr Yunus till October 24.
Fired employees of ‘Grameen Communications’ owned by Dr Muhammad Yunus lodged three separate cases against him. Following the hearing, Dhaka’s Labor Court issued an arrest warrant against him on October 9.
According to the case, some employees wanted to form a trade union in ‘Grameen Communications’ — they were barred from doing so and sacked. The three depreciated workers later lodged a case against three people incuding Dr Yunus.
The court asked the trio to appear before it on October 9 and the two others accused — Managing Director Naznin Sultana and Deputy General Manager Khandaker Abu Abedin secured bail surrendering the court while Dr Yunus was absent.
Later, Rahibul Islam, the chairman of the Third Labor Court issued an arrest warrant against him.
- Actress A Karina dies
- Netanyahu`s Likud challenger surging ahead of primary launch
- Winter begins today
- Bodies of Gazipur factory fire victims handed over to families
- Blankets distribution on Victory Day in Tangail
- 3 held with Phensidyl in Faridpur
- Notice show cause sent against Daily Sangram
- No compromise with anti-liberation forces’
- AL, front orgs pay tributes to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- Protests over India`s citizenship law on 5th day
- Indonesia hits EU over palm oil case
- Obesity, undernourishment stalks world: report
- Asian markets struggle for traction, dealers await trade details
- 4 bodies identified burnt in Gazipur fan factory fire
- 1st ever Global Refugee Forum begins in Geneva
- 28 houses gutted in Rampura fire
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- President, PM pay rich tributes to martyrs on Victory Day
- Tigers’ wishes on Victory Day
- Millions of people pay tribute to the nation`s best children
- Victory Day today
- Hetmyer, Hope power Windies to 8-wicket over India
- Bowlers, Labuschagne fire Australia to easy win
- Boko Haram kill 19 Nigeria herders in clashes
- Tigers focus firmly on Test cricket amid BBPL festivity
- Housewife’s hanging body recovered in Ctg
- 6 dead in protests against Indian citizenship law
- 24 killed in DR Congo gold mine collapse
- Abid first to score Test and ODI hundreds on debut
- Bubly’s ‘Casino’ Challenge
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Air ticket at Tk 16 on Dec 16!
- Sanna Marin, world’s youngest-serving PM
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Gambia details mass rapes, killings in Myanmar
- 11 Australians missing in New Zealand eruption