HC clears way for continuing 28-year-old case
Published: 02:06 PM, 26 June 2019 Updated: 04:02 PM, 26 June 2019
The High Court has ordered Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) to conduct further investigations of Sagira Morshed Salam murder case pending for 28 years. The PBI has to complete the investigation of the case within the next 60 working days.
The judicial court has asked to end the trial within 90 days after the investigation. Besides, the court also dismissed the rule issued for suspending the trial proceedings.
On Wednesday, the High Court’s double bench comprising Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mustafizur Rahman gave the order.
Senior lawyer Yusuf Hossain Humayun and Barrister Motahar Hossain argued for the review petition in the court. Deputy Attorney General Farhad Ahmed was present for the state.
During the hearing, the court has ordered the Registrar of the High Court to submit a list of applications for criminal prosecution in the High Court and the cancellation of cases pending until 2010. It has been asked to submit the list within three weeks.
The High Court expressed surprise over the trial proceedings of the murder case of Sagira Morshed that was pending for the last 28 years. The High Court said that the judiciary cannot avoid the liability as well as the state. “Delayed justice means denial of justice.”
On July 25, 1989, Sagira Morshed Salam, 34, was shot dead by the robbers in capital’s Shiddheswari. On the same day, husband Salam Chowdhury filed a case against anonymous with the Ramna Police Station.
Though two rickshaw pullers- were present on the spot- had identified two people- Detective police (DB) filed a chargesheet against Mintu alias Montu for unknown reasons.
In the testimony of the prosecution, on May 23, 1991, the Dhaka court ordered further investigation into the case. Maruf Reza appealed to the High Court against this. The High Court stayed the case proceedings on July 2 of that year. Then there is a stay order on the case for 28 long years. A few days ago, the state petitioned for withdrawal of the stay order.
- Australia bowled out for 250
- 231 students` result changes in review
- Protest for free elections in Russia
- Biman’s return Hajj flight lands in Dhaka
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Quader alerts AL men to BNP-Jamaat conspiracies
- BCB announces prelim squad for AFG test, Tri-series
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Cop caught taking bribe day after getting best constable award
- Facebook adds Chakma as 2nd Bangladeshi language
- Fire breaks out Delhi hospital
- Masrafe asks BCB for two months to decide future
- 4 of a family burnt in Gazipur fire
- Rawhide sale suspended till Sunday
- Priyanka Chopra reveals Jonas’ bedroom secret
- 1460 dengue patients hospitalized in 24hrs
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- 6 buses fined for charging extra fare
- Soumitra transferred to cabin from ICU
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kid drowns in Shakhipur
- Smartphone for blood pressure detection
- First return Hajj flight arrives in Dhaka
- Mgst described severe suffering in govt hospital
- Russell Domingo appointed Tigers’ head coach
- Eight killed in Ukraine hotel fire
- No MoU, 2 FMs dialog only
- College student dies of dengue in Magura
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Husband arrested in triple talaq case
- All News »
- Shaykh Muhammad bin Hassan to recite Khutba at Hajj
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- Three movies to be released on Eid
- Heavy rain pours down on Hajj pilgrims at Arafat
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Rabeya opens her eyes, Rokeya still unconscious
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- 2m pilgrims gathered in Arafat
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Holidaymakers suffer in train schedule catastrophe
- Man. City. Everton to play tonight
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 7 plays of Humayun to be aired on Eid
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC