Alexa HC clears way for continuing 28-year-old case

Dhaka, Sunday   18 August 2019


HC clears way for continuing 28-year-old case

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 02:06 PM, 26 June 2019   Updated: 04:02 PM, 26 June 2019

File Photo

File Photo

The High Court has ordered Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) to conduct further investigations of Sagira Morshed Salam murder case pending for 28 years. The PBI has to complete the investigation of the case within the next 60 working days.

The judicial court has asked to end the trial within 90 days after the investigation. Besides, the court also dismissed the rule issued for suspending the trial proceedings. 

On Wednesday, the High Court’s double bench comprising Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mustafizur Rahman gave the order.  

Senior lawyer Yusuf Hossain Humayun and Barrister Motahar Hossain argued for the review petition in the court. Deputy Attorney General Farhad Ahmed was present for the state.

During the hearing, the court has ordered the Registrar of the High Court to submit a list of applications for criminal prosecution in the High Court and the cancellation of cases pending until 2010. It has been asked to submit the list within three weeks.   

The High Court expressed surprise over the trial proceedings of the murder case of Sagira Morshed that was pending for the last 28 years. The High Court said that the judiciary cannot avoid the liability as well as the state. “Delayed justice means denial of justice.” 

On July 25, 1989, Sagira Morshed Salam, 34, was shot dead by the robbers in capital’s Shiddheswari. On the same day, husband Salam Chowdhury filed a case against anonymous with the Ramna Police Station. 

Though two rickshaw pullers- were present on the spot- had identified two people- Detective police (DB) filed a chargesheet against Mintu alias Montu for unknown reasons. 

In the testimony of the prosecution, on May 23, 1991, the Dhaka court ordered further investigation into the case. Maruf Reza appealed to the High Court against this. The High Court stayed the case proceedings on July 2 of that year. Then there is a stay order on the case for 28 long years. A few days ago, the state petitioned for withdrawal of the stay order.