Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
Published: 10:54 AM, 6 November 2019
At least 15 people, including a police officer and many village defense volunteers, were killed as suspected separatist insurgents stormed a security checkpoint in Thailand’s Muslim-majority south, security officials said on Wednesday.
It was the worst single attack in years in a region where a Muslim separatist insurgency has killed thousands, reported Reuters news agency.
The attackers, in the province of Yala, also used explosives and scattered nails on roads to delay pursuers late on Tuesday night.
“This is likely the work of the insurgents,” Colonel Pramote Prom-in, a regional security spokesman, told Reuters.
“This is one of the biggest attack in recent times.”
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, however, as is common with such attacks.
A decade-old separatist insurgency in predominantly Buddhist Thailand’s largely ethnic Malay-Muslim provinces of Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat has killed nearly 7,000 people since 2004, says Deep South Watch, a group that monitors the violence.
The population of the provinces, which belonged to an independent Malay Muslim sultanate before Thailand annexed them in 1909, is 80 percent Muslim, while the rest of the country is overwhelmingly Buddhist.
Some rebel groups in the south have said they are fighting to establish an independent state.
Authorities arrested several suspects from the region in August over a series of small bombs detonated in Bangkok, the capital, although they have not directly blamed any insurgent group.
The main insurgency group, the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN), denied responsibility for the Bangkok bombings, which wounded four people.
In August, the group told Reuters it had held a secret preliminary meeting here with the government, but any step towards a peace process appeared to wither after the deputy prime minister rejected a key demand for the release of prisoners.
- RAB detained 3 drug dealers
- Man gets death penalty for killing wife
- 30 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Mobile court fined 4 institutions in Gurudaspur
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- 1000 Kg cocaine found floating in the sea
- Pooran banned for ball tampering
- Protest continue at JU demanding VC’s removal
- Israeli strikes kills 12 in Gaza
- No pressure to win keeps Tigers motivated
- Man held with 8 gold bars in Benapole
- Better logistics can help Bangladesh boost exports: WB
- PKSF ‘Development Fair’ begins tomorrow
- ‘Abrar murder trial will be in speedy trial’
- Shamim took responsibility of child Mahima
- Selim Pradhan placed on 7-day fresh remand
- Madhubala’s biopic to be screened
- Launch trapped in Char with 500 passengers rescued
- Man held with 13,420 yaba in Chattogram
- India’s SC disqualifies 17 revel MLAs
- Night temperature likely to fall
- PM opens seven more power plants
- 48 industrialists to get CIP cards
- Bolivian senator declares herself president
- 16 killed as car ditched in Kashmir
- UD filed over B’baria train crash
- New schedule for Tigers’ Pink-Ball Test
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Woods to play upgraded Genesis Invitational
- Suicide bombing in Indonesia: 1 killed
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ heads towards Bangladesh
- Tahsan’s realize after 7yrs
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- Bulbul hits Kolkata, Kills 1
- China imposes `Gaming Curfew` for minors
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Losing voice was ‘darkest moment’ of my life: Shakira
- 9 districts that will come under signal 10
- Tigers face India in 2nd T20I today