Gunman opens fire on Cairo church, kills 9
Published: 02:17 PM, 30 December 2017
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least nine people, including eight Coptic Christians have been killed in two attacks on Coptic Christians in Helwan district, south of Cairokilled on late Friday.
Egypt`s interior ministry said that a gunman on a motorcycle opened fire outside a church in a Cairo suburb that killed at least six civilians and a policeman.
Previously the man had attacked a Coptic-owned shop in the same area, killing two brothers. The gunman was intercepted and arrested.
The local associate of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group has claimed responsibility for the attack. In a statement they said that it was carried out by one of their `soldier` and claimed him martyred due to the strike.
The attack was commenced when the gunman tried to break through the security cordon outside the Coptic Church of Mar Mina.
Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said that due to the attck at least five people were wounded including one police officer.
President Donald Trump spoke with Egypt`s president after the attack, condemning it and restating that the United States will continue to stand with Egypt in the face of terrorism.
The Interior Ministry identified the assailant as Ibrahim Ismail Mostafa, who was involved in several previous militant attacks.
Islamic militants have battled security forces for years in Egypt`s Sinai Peninsula in an insurgency which is now led by IS. The attack place is situated in the northern part of Sinai but the attack has also carried in the mainland.
The militants are targeting mainly security personnel and Egypt`s Coptic Christian minority.
A witness, Samir Gerges said on Friday’s church attack that people were inside the church but when the shooting began, some bullets were penetrated the building.
Raouth Atta, another witness of the church’s attack said that he was praying inside the church when the violence broke out.
Just last week, hundreds of Muslim strikers stormed an unlicensed church south of Cairo, wounding three people. According to the local diocese, the strikers shouted anti-Christian slogans and called for the church`s demolition.
- Mobile cinema brings movie magic to Syria Kurd children
- ‘Take me away from here, they’ll kill me’
- Record 19,461 tons groundnut produced in Rangpur
- Ashkona raid: Probe report Oct 9
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- 5 Natural Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away
- Momen-Jaishankar meeting begins
- Pirate killed in Pekua gunfight
- Fun facts about mosquitoes
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- World Mosquito Day today
- 13 Chinese killed as tour bus crashes in Laos
- Ajax to face Apoel in CL play-off
- No bar to publish 9th wage board gazette
- Two killed in Debidwar road crash
- Momen-Jaishankar meeting today
- Bir Sreshtho Matiur Rahman’s 48 martyr anniv today
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- PM to inaugurate `Gangchil` on Thursday
- Empty classrooms as some schools re-open in Kashmir
- Easy loan for idea innovators
- Peya Bipasha in new film
- Huawei gets 90 more days
- Man commits suicide after being raped in Gazipur
- Aklima`s husband & father-in-law dies
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Indian foreign minister Jaishankar in Dhaka
- Dolphins goes extinct day by day
- BFF set to start world cup practice on Friday
- 5% VAT on ride-sharing companies
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- App launches to prevent dengue
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Lawyer killed in Cumilla road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again