Gunman opens fire on Cairo church, kills 9
Published: 02:17 PM, 30 December 2017
At least nine people, including eight Coptic Christians have been killed in two attacks on Coptic Christians in Helwan district, south of Cairokilled on late Friday.
Egypt`s interior ministry said that a gunman on a motorcycle opened fire outside a church in a Cairo suburb that killed at least six civilians and a policeman.
Previously the man had attacked a Coptic-owned shop in the same area, killing two brothers. The gunman was intercepted and arrested.
The local associate of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group has claimed responsibility for the attack. In a statement they said that it was carried out by one of their `soldier` and claimed him martyred due to the strike.
The attack was commenced when the gunman tried to break through the security cordon outside the Coptic Church of Mar Mina.
Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said that due to the attck at least five people were wounded including one police officer.
President Donald Trump spoke with Egypt`s president after the attack, condemning it and restating that the United States will continue to stand with Egypt in the face of terrorism.
The Interior Ministry identified the assailant as Ibrahim Ismail Mostafa, who was involved in several previous militant attacks.
Islamic militants have battled security forces for years in Egypt`s Sinai Peninsula in an insurgency which is now led by IS. The attack place is situated in the northern part of Sinai but the attack has also carried in the mainland.
The militants are targeting mainly security personnel and Egypt`s Coptic Christian minority.
A witness, Samir Gerges said on Friday’s church attack that people were inside the church but when the shooting began, some bullets were penetrated the building.
Raouth Atta, another witness of the church’s attack said that he was praying inside the church when the violence broke out.
Just last week, hundreds of Muslim strikers stormed an unlicensed church south of Cairo, wounding three people. According to the local diocese, the strikers shouted anti-Christian slogans and called for the church`s demolition.
- Bus-truck collision kills 2 incl child in Cumilla
- Oishee in ‘Raat Jaaga Phul’
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Jersey City gun battle leaves 6 dead, including cop
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Bangabandhu BPL’s opening match today
- All flights at Shahjalal to be closed for 2.2 hrs today
- 2.7-km to be visible
- ADB to provide US$ 540m for human resource development
- Bijoy Mela begins in Ctg
- Premier Div Chess: Saif SC, Police share top slot
- Both Challengers, Thunder upbeat to start BPL with victory
- Brazilian president hails launching of Sino-Brazilian satellite
- 18th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Turkey says ready to send troops to back Libya unity govt
- What should be said while entering house
- No room for anti-liberation forces in AL: Quader
- HC summons Sakhipur UNO, OC
- Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
- Two children drown in Kurigram
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ECNEC okays 7 projects
- BBPL will miss Shakib: Russell
- Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
- 1mn more jobs in ICT sector within 5 yrs: Palak
- Enjoy BPL in 10 countries apart from Bangladesh
- NASA chief gets latest look at new moon rocket
- Miraz braces for two challenges in BBPL
- RAB detained 5 brokers from hospital
- The old man died of heart attack during buy onions
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Storm over new black hole issue
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer