Barcelona 5-2 Real Betis
Griezmann hits two to seal Barca`s first La Liga win
Published: 10:12 AM, 26 August 2019 Updated: 10:13 AM, 26 August 2019
No Messi? No Suárez? No Dembélé? No Coutinho? No Neymar? No. Freaking. Problem. Barcelona made a statement of strength thanks to a spectacular 5-2 victory over Real Betis at Camp Nou on Sunday, Barça’s first La Liga win of the season. The Blaugrana played well throughout the match and responded to going behind early with a brand of football that was suffocating and scintillating at times, and Antoine Griezmann showed the world - and especially Barça’s fans and players - that he is ready to be really good for this team.
Barça made a strong start to the game, with quick passing and smart movement in the final third that created many good chances, but the finishing was missing without Messi and Suárez inside the box. Just as Barça looked close to a goal they were exposed after a bad pass in midfield, and Nabil Fekir scored his first goal for Betis and gave the visitors the lead against the run of play.
The goal did unsettle Barça for a few minutes and they struggled in the final third, but the final 20 minutes saw a really strong response from the Blaugrana who created big chances and would have equalized through Rafinha if Sidnei didn’t make a vital deflection just five yards from goal to send the ball away for a corner.
The pressure was too much, however, and Barça got a deserved equalizer four minutes from the whistle: Sergi Roberto played a brilliant cross into the box, and Griezmann threw himself into the ball and managed to make contact and send it past Dani Martín and into the back of the net for the Frenchman’s first goal for Barça.
At halftime, considering all the injuries and the opponent, this was a very good performance from Barça. They still needed to find a winner, though.
There was a hunger and an intensity about Barça to start the second half: they were running like madmen and pressing all over the pitch, and their hard work quickly turned the game from tough to amazing: in a space of 10 minutes, Griezmann (with a beautiful curler), Carles Pérez (after a great piece of high pressing) and Jordi Alba (after more high pressing) scored three goals and made the score 4-1 to clinch the victory with a half-hour to go.
Barça slowed down after a crazy 15 minutes to start the second half, but they still wanted to score more goals and they got it: a beautiful team move that started with a goal-kick ended with a beautiful through ball from Pérez, a great assist from Griezmann and a fantastic finish by Arturo Vidal to make it five. There was consolation for Betis thanks to an amazing strike by Loren Morón, which made the score 5-2, but the game was well over.
The final whistle eventually came to end an incredible night for Barça.
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Tunisian ex-president Ben Ali dies at 83
- Khaled put on 7-day remand
- Myanmar should take back Rohingyas: PM
- Another Bangladesh in Kashmir
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Banca Monte: World’s oldest bank still operates
- PM to leave for New York tomorrow
- Passport office gets new DG
- ‘Smart Glass’ will replace Smartphone!
- Siddhirganj murder: Sensational info reveals
- Difficult diseases treatment without certificate
- ‘You’re Killing Me’ Ranveer to Deepika
- Drives carried out on secret info: HM
- Local brands dominate Dhaka Furniture Fair
- NRC will be done countrywide: Amit Shah
- Stitch in Aminul’s hand, uncertain for next match
- Preparations for AL’s next council underway: Quader
- Arms, Drugs and Money Laundering Act files against Khalid
- Jubo League leader Khalid handed over to Gulshan police
- 30 farmers killed in airstrike in eastern Afghanistan
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Water for refreshing face
- India on top of refugee provider list
- Twin baby die drinking milk
- Canadian court allows Bangladesh’s judicial review for Nur Chy’s info
- U-14 Academy Cup final tomorrow
- Netanyahu calls on Gantz to form a unity government together
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- ‘Mayaboti’ to release 22 theaters tomorrow
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- ACC director Yusuf’s wife burnt in fire dies
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal