Graft: BNP chief Khaleda to argue again in court Thursday
Published: 08:53 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 09:27 PM, 3 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A Dhaka court has adjourned its hearing on arguments from BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in a graft case against her involving the Zia Orphanage Trust.
Judge Md Akhteruzzaman of Dhaka’s Fifth Special Court will again hear arguments by the former prime minister on Thursday.
Lawyer Abdur Rezak Khan argued on behalf of Khaleda at the hearing that started at 11:15am Wednesday. Khaleda left the special court soon after the hearing was adjourned at 1:45pm.
Three advocates—Khandaker Mahbub Hossain, AJ Mohammad Ali and Barrister Jamiruddin Sircar —will again argue for the BNP chief on Thursday.
The final verdict will follow once the court finishes hearing arguments of both parties in the nine-year-old case.
The Anti-Corruption Commission or ACC started the case in 2008 accusing Khaleda and five others of embezzling Tk 21 million from foreign aid collected for the Zia Orphanage Trust.
The court started the trial in 2014, around five years after the investigator submitted the charges.
ACC’s lawyer Mosharrof Hossain Kajal argued for the state on Tuesday.
“Instead of using the foreign aid for the welfare of orphans, the accused transferred and transformed them. They kept accumulating the money abroad over years,” he said.
The defence had been unable to refute the testimonies of 32 witnesses, he claimed.
The BNP chairperson has so far defended herself seven times in the case.
Of the other defendants, former MP Kazi Salimul Haque Kamal and businessman Sharfuddin Ahmed are out on bail while on Jan 26 this year, a warrant was issued for Tarique, who has been in the UK for the last nine years and has warrants on him in several others cases.
The two others accused in the case --- former principal secretary to the PM Kamal Uddin Siddique and one Maminur Rahman, nephew of BNP founder Ziaur Rahman, are absconding.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves