Govt to bring Tarique back for sake of law: Hasan
Published: 10:46 PM, 9 April 2019 Updated: 10:46 PM, 9 April 2019
Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud today said the government is trying to bring back BNP acting chairman Tarique Rahman to the country for the sake of law.
“There is no matter of revenge. If Tarique Rahman thinks that he has become a victim of political vengeance, he should return home and surrender to court. His offences in graft and criminal cases are visible and that’s why he has no such courage,” he said.
Dr Hasan, also Awami League publicity and publication secretary, said this while talking to reporters prior to a meeting of AL publicity sub-committee at the party’s Dhanmondi office here.
He said the Bangladesh government did not unearth the graft of Tarique, but the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the United States disclosed his corruption.
“Tarique’s involvement in the August 21 grenade attack was clearly proved by witnesses. He is a convicted one. BNP leaders should remove him from the party. Instead of doing so, they are trying to protect a convicted fugitive,” the information minister said.
As Bangladesh has no extradition treaty with the United Kingdom, he said, the government sent a letter to the country for bringing Tarique back.
About the allegation of BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir that there is no democracy in the country, Hasan said BNP had created a regime of fear in the country by burning people alive.
“Now, BNP leaders are saying that there is no democracy in the country. But, they are frequently talking to media and making falsehood against the government,” he said.
About the BNP’s strategy against the government, the minister said BNP has passed 10 years in taking a strategy against the government, but it failed to do so.
AL publicity sub-committee secretary Aminul Islam Amin and its assistant secretary Kasem Humayun, among others, were present.
- Moeen urges fans to not heckle Warner, Smith
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- President reaches London
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg