`Govt importing 50,000 MT onions by cargo planes`
Published: 08:40 PM, 19 November 2019
Commerce Minister Tipu Munshi on Tuesday said the government is importing 50,000 metric tons of onions by cargo planes to contain price hike of the essential cooking ingredient.
“The government has started increasing the supply of onion in local market through raising its import by air and sea,” he told a press conference at the secretariat.
He said around 12,000 MT onion started reaching the country through the sea.
From the Egyptian capital of Cairo, the first consignment of onion by a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight will reach Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport via Jeddah at midnight on November 20, he said.
Then the onion will continue to come to the capital every day through the passenger and cargo planes, he said, adding the imported onion would be sold at fair prices through the state-run Trading Corporation of Bangladesh (TCB).
TCB will sell the onion through the vehicles and their appointed dealers, Munshi said.
The government has begun importing onion from Egypt and Turkey as an alternative way as India suspended the export of the bulb and Myanmar raised minimum export price (MEP).
The onion import by the sea is time consuming, so the government is importing the daily cooking ingredient through the cargo planes, said the minister.
To curb onion import dependency, Tipu Munshi said special steps have been taken to fulfill the country’s annual onion demand by increasing its production from the next season.
“The government has taken special projects for preservation of onion so that it becomes available round-the-year, the minister noted.
The country annually needs to import 8-10 lakh MT of onion where most of the onions are being imported from India.
Commerce Secretary Dr M Jafar Uddin was present at the press conference.
- Areas where gas supply shut tomorrow
- Gas supply to stay shut in Farmgate, Shukrabad tomorrow
- Radish’s ‘Jafrani kabab’
- Minister laid Press Club building foundation stone in Kaliakair
- ‘No one will be exempted involving corruption’
- Bogura Zilla Awami League council tomorrow
- BNP’s behaviour in court unpardonable: Quader
- RAB detained 3 members of snatcher cycle
- Bangladeshi archers shine on opening day
- Modi, Pranab, Sonia to join Bangabandhu`s birth centenary
- Agriculture Minister inaugurates ‘Krisoker Bazar’
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Pancake without eggs!
- Language movement-liberation war’s colorful paintings on wall
- Child body recover from pond
- Giant ‘Tiger Shark’ caught in Chattogram
- ACC detained 2 civil aviation officials
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- 23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic
- Bangladesh to honour 380 Indian soldiers: FM
- New South Wales bushfires condition worsen
- Hemayet 5th World Carrom rankings
- TV umpire to call no-balls in cricket first
- Five robbers detained in Narayanganj
- China`s new high-speed train faster than air travel
- School changes Nurani’s life
- Child body recover from pond
- Admission faker detained in interview
- New high-speed train faster than airbus
- BNP does not believe in constitution: Dipu Moni
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married