Google pays tribute Tareque Masud with doodle
Published: 04:38 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 04:38 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Search engine giant Google is celebrating the 62nd birth anniversary of renowned Bangladeshi filmmaker Tareque Masud with a Doodle on its homepage on Thursday.
In its doodle, the search engine giant shows an image of a hand holding a ‘clay bird’, created based on the filmmaker’s renowned film ‘The Clay Bird’.
Tareque Masud was born in Nurpur Village of Faridpur District in Bangladesh on December 6, 1956.
Doodles are a special, temporary alteration of the company’s logo, on Google’s homepage, that honor notable personalities.
“The first Bangladeshi director to participate in the Oscars or to be honored at Cannes, Tareque Masud was a driving force within his country’s independent film movement,” Google wrote in its Doodle.
Giving special thanks to Google, the film maker’s wife Catherine Masud said, “It is a great honor to have Tareque Masud’s legacy recognized by Google. Tareque was a visionary and a pioneer of Bangladeshi cinema, an inspiring figure for young people in his own country and beyond. Although he made films for the people of Bangladesh, his work also spoke to the world through universal themes of tolerance, compassion, and justice.”
Tareque started his career with his first film Adam Surat (1991) (The Inner Strength), a documentary on the legendary Bangladeshi painter S.M. Sultan, in 1982. His 1995 feature-length documentary on the ’71 Liberation War, Muktir Gaan (1995) (Song of Freedom) brought record audiences and became a cult classic. He also made many other films on the war, including Muktir Kotha (1999) (Words of Freedom), Narir Kotha (Women and War) (2000) and Naroshundor (The Barbershop)(2009).
In 2002, he completed his feature film The Clay Bird (2002) (The Clay Bird), which was based on his childhood experience in the Madrassa. The film won the Critics’ Prize (FIPRESCI Prize) at the Cannes Film Festival (2002), was the first Bangladeshi film to compete in the Oscars, and was released in many countries around the world.
On 13 August 2011, Tareque and Mishuk along with three others were killed in a road accident on Dhaka-Aricha highway in Ghior Upazila of Manikganj while returning to Dhaka from Manikganj after visiting a shooting location.
The accident happened when a microbus carrying the two celebrities collided with a bus on the highway.
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Why lightning often strikes twice
- Nojibur terms SMEs as driving force of economy
- West Bengal-Uttar Pradesh will made Delhi’s `Throne`: Mamata
- Judicial probe into cops’ role in Nusrat murder
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Eid train tickets to be available at 6 spots: Minister
- AL’s joint meeting tomorrow
- `Nusrat killing could be avoided if action taken in prior cases`
- Severe monitoring over market in Ramadan: Tipu
- BAF holds Junior Command, Staff Course certificate ceremony
- PM donates Tk 35 lakh to actor Ahmad Sharif
- Advice to take Subir Nandi abroad
- Mannan calls for investment in solar energy
- Bangladesh, Brunei likely to sign 7 MoUs
- Destiny recovrerd Boishakhi TV’s ownership
- Sri Lanka announces WC squad, dump Chandimal
- 6.1-quake causes light damage in Taiwan capital, east coast
- Nusrat murder: Shamim put on 5-day remand
- Scientists discover 220 million-year-old dinosaur fossils
- Housewife burnt to death in Chattogram
- 3 doctors for 1.5 lakh people
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt now single, says judge
- NZ official hid camera in embassy toilet
- Suffering of cancer patients in Cumilla
- PM orders continued review of disaster preparedness steps
- Rajib’s death: report on May 22
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Bangladeshi man jailed in UK for murdering wife
- Youth killed in ambulance-covered van collision
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- GD filed over Nusrat’s death
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Nusrat to be buried in family graveyard
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PM directs stern action against Nusrat’s killers
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- Julian Assange faces five years in jail
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Autopsy of Nusrat completed, body handed over
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar