Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
Published: 12:55 PM, 20 June 2019 Updated: 07:20 PM, 20 June 2019
Screenshot taken from Google`s homepage
Google has created a new Doodle, alteration of the Google logo, celebrating the 108th birth anniversary of renowned late Bangladeshi poet Sufia Kamal.
The search engine giant posted the doodle, alteration of the Google logo, on its Bangladeshi homepage early Thursday, paying tribute to her memory.
The doodle shows a picture of Sufia Kamal wearing a white sari.
Sufia Kamal, a pioneer in movement for women emancipation, was born on June 20, 1911, in Shayestabad Nawab family in Barisal.
On the occasion of her birth anniversary, President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have issued separate messages paying profound respect to the memory of renowned poet Sufia Kamal. They prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of the poet.
Different social and cultural organisations have taken various programmes marking the anniversary.
Sufia Kamal, who was the founder president of Bangladesh Mahila Parishad, had struggled throughout her life for the emancipation of women from prejudice. Her struggle was for establishing a society with equal rights of men and women.
She also had an active role in the movement against banning Tagore songs by Pakistan government in 1961, language movement in 1952, non-cooperation movement and the Liberation War in 1971 and all democratic and cultural movements in the country.
Her remarkable works are ‘Sanjher Maya, ‘Maya Kajal’, ‘Mon O Jibon’, ‘Shanti O Pranthana,’ ‘Udatto Brithibi’ and ‘Diwan’.
She was awarded Bangla Academy Literary Award for Literature (1962), Lenin Centenary Jubilee Medal (1970) from the Soviet Union, Ekushey Padak (1976), Czechoslovakia Medal (1986), Jatyo Kabita Parishad Award (1995), Begum Rokeya Medal (1996), Deshbandhu CR Das Gold Medal (1996), Independence Day Award (1997).
Begum Sufia Kamal died in Dhaka on November 20 in 1999 and was the first woman to be given a state funeral in Bangladesh.
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- World Mosquito Day today
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon