Good news to honey farmers
Published: 09:23 PM, 17 February 2020 Updated: 11:50 AM, 18 February 2020
Agriculture Minister Dr. Md Abdur Razzak said that we are exporting honey to Japan. This year, we received an order for 400 metric tons of honey and it is good news for us, he added.
He added that honey is a new addition to the modernization and commercialization of agriculture, which will assist in our export diversification. Earlier, honey was produced on a limited scale but now commercially, its production has been started.
He was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day Bee fair (Jatiya Mou Mela-2020) held at Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Farmgate in the capital on Monday.
On the occasion of the fair, a seminar on 'Bees for nutrition security and economic prosperity' was held at the BARC Auditorium.
The agriculture minister said, "We have achieved remarkable success in agriculture. We are self-sufficient in granular food, and we have a surplus in potatoes. We are remaindered in many crops like this.
He said that we have to produce such agricultural products which have high market value. Honey is also likely to be exported abroad. If we can guarantee, in our honey, there is nothing harmful to health, and it is produced in modern ways - then it can be exported abroad.
Dr. Razzaq said that those of us involved in honey production are now producing honey with many new technologies. In addition, foreigners are producing and processing honey through many technologies. The present government's electoral mission was to ensure nutritious and safe food. Honey is a unique diet to ensure nutritional needs. There is potential for beekeeping, development and expansion in agriculture-based Bangladesh.
He said that extension of mango cultivation plays an important role in fulfilling nutritional needs as well as increasing the production of fruits and crops through pollination. Mow farming in crop fields provides additional income for the farmer. The use, processing and marketing of technology are essential to ensure sustainable production of native assets. It is possible to earn foreign currency through export of valuable local resources and honey after meeting local demand. The potentiality for agriculture is very high. Facing the challenges of agriculture and export diversification, Mujib Barsho will be a year of prosperity.
Director General of the Department of Agriculture Extension Dr. Md. Abdul Muyeed presided over the cremony where Food Minister Sadhan Chandra Majumder, Agriculture Secretary Md. Nasiruzzaman and BARC executive chairman Sheikh Mohammed Bakhtiar were present as special guests.
The Ministry of Agriculture organized the fair for the fourth time. This year, a total of 74 stalls have been set up with six government stalls. The fair will be open for the public from 9am to 9pm everyday.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus