Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
Published: 09:22 AM, 1 April 2020 Updated: 09:23 AM, 1 April 2020
The death toll from the novel coronavirus has surpassed 42,000 in the world, according to data from WorldoMeters.
As of Wednesday morning, a total of 42,151 people have died from the new coronavirus outbreak in the world. Besides, more than 855,000 people have been confirmed to have the virus, and at least 178,000 have recovered.
Meanwhile, in the United States, the death toll from the coronavirus has surpassed the official tally in China, with more than more 3,800 fatalities recorded. That means the US now has the third-highest death toll after Italy and Spain, and the highest number of coronavirus cases in the world with more than 188,500.
Further restrictions on movement are being considered in the US to curb the spread of the virus, with the country now reporting twice the number of cases as China where the outbreak began late last year.
In Italy, the death toll from the virus has climbed by 837 to 12,428, the Civil Protection Agency said, with the daily tally rising, albeit slightly, for a second day running. The number of new cases was broadly steady, growing by 4,053 against 4,050 on Monday, and bringing total infections since the outbreak came to light on February 21 to 105,792.
Besides, Spain's coronavirus death toll rose by 849 cases overnight to 8,189, the highest jump in fatalities since the start of the epidemic, the health ministry said. The total number of infections rose to 94,417 from 85,195 the previous day.
France reported its highest daily number of deaths from coronavirus since the epidemic began, saying 499 more people had died in the hospital to bring the toll to 3,523. There are now 22,757 people hospitalised in France with COVID-19, with 5,565 of them in intensive care.
Britain has reported a record daily coronavirus toll of 381, more than double the number of deaths posted in the previous 24 hours. "As of 5 pm (1600 GMT) on 30 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 1,789 have sadly died," the health ministry said on its Twitter page, up from 1,408 on Monday. The number of confirmed cases rose by 14 percent to 25,150 as of Tuesday at 0800 GMT, the Department for Health and Social Care said.
The Netherlands has reported 175 new deaths from the coronavirus, bringing its total number of fatalities to 1,039. Meanwhile, the number of confirmed infections increased by 845 to 12,595, the Netherlands' National Institute for Health said.
Meanwhile, Iran's health ministry announced 141 new deaths from coronavirus overnight, bringing the total number of fatalities to 2,898.
"In the past 24 hours, there has been 3,111 new cases of infected people. Unfortunately, 3,703 of the infected people are in a critical condition," Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur told state TV.
In Turkey, more than 200 people have died from COVID-19 so far. With 2,704 more cases of the novel coronavirus, the total has reached 13,531.
- Former SCC mayor Kamran tests positive for COVID-19
- Natore reports three new COVID-19 patients
- Dr. Nahid brought to Suhrawardy Hospital
- 29 more test positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- Fiji declares itself Coronavirus-free
- Foreign currency reserve, annual remittances hit record highs
- Qatar completes third World Cup stadium
- Coronavirus is ‘weakening’, now claims US doctors
- Govt to recruit 3,000 medical technologists-technicians
- COVID-19 cases reached 1281 in Cumilla
- Youths in country mostly infected with coronavirus
- Electrician dies falling from under-construction building
- 123 officials get promoted as joint secretaries
- Don Dawood Ibrahim and his wife infected with COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Cox’s Bazar declared as country’s first ‘red zone’
- Bank official among 3 of a family hacked in Pabna, bodies found 3 days later
- ‘Environment care would have made easier to combat virus’
- Shechwashebak League leader killed in Bogura
- Gazipur coronavirus cases surpass 1,500
- New routine for secondary classes on TV released
- Four families placed under lockdown in Brahmanbaria
- 3 killed, 7 injured in knife attack at China supermarket
- Tea seller anxious despite his son gets GPA-5
- Consumers suffering in ‘spooky electricity bills’
- India breaks all records of COVID-19 cases in a day
- Sherpur reports six new coronavirus infected cases
- Schoolboy`s body found in pond
- Charging extra fare is breach of promise: Quader
- 5 day labourers missing as boat capsize in Padma
- Coronavirus death toll exceeds 800 in country
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register