Give priority to country’s interest: President
Published: 05:56 PM, 25 February 2019 Updated: 05:57 PM, 25 February 2019
Stressing the importance of moral education alongside academic excellence to build a nation, President M Abdul Hamid today asked students to give priority to the interest of the country.
“Give priority to the interests of the country and nation...Never compromise with falsehood or dishonesty in your life,” the President told the graduates at the fifth convocation of University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB) at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) here.
The President, also the chancellor of the university, advised them to uphold their ideology as an individual’s misdeeds not only affects him/her but also influences society as a whole.
Emphasizing on building students’ morality, he said, “Education flourishes society, but education without morality doesn’t bring any good for the society or the nation.”
The university is not only a centre of learning; rather it’s the highest place of acquiring knowledge, skill and performing research works, the President observed.
The head of the state urged the university authority to involve the students in various extra-curriculum creative activities, including free- thinking, discussion on national and international issues, nation-building works, contemporary thoughts, cultural activities and sports.
President Hamid also put emphasis on introducing the new generation to the history and tradition of the country to familiarize them with the country’s glorious past.
Recalling the contribution of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the President said, “A vested quarter is trying to erase the contribution of Bangabandhu but we must remain alert against their ill-motives. We must to remember our glorious past, Liberation War and our Great Leader Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.”
He urged the graduates to play their due role in turning Bangladesh into an ICT -based country.
At the outset of his speech, Abdul Hamid paid rich tribute to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the patriots who embraced martyrdom during the 1971 Liberation War, 1952 Language Movement and other democratic movements of the country.
Science fiction author and Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) Prof Dr Muhammed Zafar Iqbal delivered the convocation speech while Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni, MP, Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury, MP, University Grants Commission (UGC) Chairman Professor Abdul Mannan, ULAB Vice-Chancellor Professor HM Jahirul Haque, among others, were present on the occasion.
- S Korea`s young men are fighting against feminism
- Hong Kong protesters trash subway station, stage mall rally
- 19 arrested from 3 Spa centers at Gulshan-1
- Nasima Begum appointed NHRC Chairman
- Houthi rebels in Yemen say they will stop attacks on Saudi Arabia
- 5 JMB men sentenced 12 yrs jail for Khilkhet bomb attack
- 16 years friendship or something!
- U-19 cricket team leaves for NZ Monday
- Couple becomes millionaire by cheating
- Live crocodile in pond!
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Daughter demands info on Mehbooba Mufti’s arrest
- Huge Typhoon Tapah threatens Japan, South Korea
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Puja Cherry got married!
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing