Give priority to country’s interest: President
Published: 05:56 PM, 25 February 2019 Updated: 05:57 PM, 25 February 2019
Stressing the importance of moral education alongside academic excellence to build a nation, President M Abdul Hamid today asked students to give priority to the interest of the country.
“Give priority to the interests of the country and nation...Never compromise with falsehood or dishonesty in your life,” the President told the graduates at the fifth convocation of University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB) at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) here.
The President, also the chancellor of the university, advised them to uphold their ideology as an individual’s misdeeds not only affects him/her but also influences society as a whole.
Emphasizing on building students’ morality, he said, “Education flourishes society, but education without morality doesn’t bring any good for the society or the nation.”
The university is not only a centre of learning; rather it’s the highest place of acquiring knowledge, skill and performing research works, the President observed.
The head of the state urged the university authority to involve the students in various extra-curriculum creative activities, including free- thinking, discussion on national and international issues, nation-building works, contemporary thoughts, cultural activities and sports.
President Hamid also put emphasis on introducing the new generation to the history and tradition of the country to familiarize them with the country’s glorious past.
Recalling the contribution of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the President said, “A vested quarter is trying to erase the contribution of Bangabandhu but we must remain alert against their ill-motives. We must to remember our glorious past, Liberation War and our Great Leader Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.”
He urged the graduates to play their due role in turning Bangladesh into an ICT -based country.
At the outset of his speech, Abdul Hamid paid rich tribute to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the patriots who embraced martyrdom during the 1971 Liberation War, 1952 Language Movement and other democratic movements of the country.
Science fiction author and Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) Prof Dr Muhammed Zafar Iqbal delivered the convocation speech while Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni, MP, Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury, MP, University Grants Commission (UGC) Chairman Professor Abdul Mannan, ULAB Vice-Chancellor Professor HM Jahirul Haque, among others, were present on the occasion.
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat