Give priority to country’s interest: President
Published: 05:56 PM, 25 February 2019 Updated: 05:57 PM, 25 February 2019
Stressing the importance of moral education alongside academic excellence to build a nation, President M Abdul Hamid today asked students to give priority to the interest of the country.
“Give priority to the interests of the country and nation...Never compromise with falsehood or dishonesty in your life,” the President told the graduates at the fifth convocation of University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB) at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) here.
The President, also the chancellor of the university, advised them to uphold their ideology as an individual’s misdeeds not only affects him/her but also influences society as a whole.
Emphasizing on building students’ morality, he said, “Education flourishes society, but education without morality doesn’t bring any good for the society or the nation.”
The university is not only a centre of learning; rather it’s the highest place of acquiring knowledge, skill and performing research works, the President observed.
The head of the state urged the university authority to involve the students in various extra-curriculum creative activities, including free- thinking, discussion on national and international issues, nation-building works, contemporary thoughts, cultural activities and sports.
President Hamid also put emphasis on introducing the new generation to the history and tradition of the country to familiarize them with the country’s glorious past.
Recalling the contribution of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the President said, “A vested quarter is trying to erase the contribution of Bangabandhu but we must remain alert against their ill-motives. We must to remember our glorious past, Liberation War and our Great Leader Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.”
He urged the graduates to play their due role in turning Bangladesh into an ICT -based country.
At the outset of his speech, Abdul Hamid paid rich tribute to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the patriots who embraced martyrdom during the 1971 Liberation War, 1952 Language Movement and other democratic movements of the country.
Science fiction author and Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) Prof Dr Muhammed Zafar Iqbal delivered the convocation speech while Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni, MP, Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury, MP, University Grants Commission (UGC) Chairman Professor Abdul Mannan, ULAB Vice-Chancellor Professor HM Jahirul Haque, among others, were present on the occasion.
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- DU says not to uniform entry test
- Case against 9 brick kilns of Gaibandha
- Bangladesh restrict India to 142
- Coronavirus: 7 died, 763 infected in South Korea
- Mushfiqur tops Tamim to become leading run-scorer
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!