Get ready for Super Snow Moon tonight!
Published: 11:49 AM, 19 February 2019
Stargazers across the world will bear the witness to the ‘Super Show Moon’ which will shine brightly in the sky on Tuesday night as the Earth welcomes yet Supermoon this year.
Following the last month’s ‘Super Wolf Blood Moon’, space enthusiasts will be welcomed by the second of three consecutive Supermoons this year.
Like last month’s ‘Supermoon’, this ‘Super Snow Moon’ will take its name from the Native Indians who label every full moon that falls in February as a ‘Snow Moon’.
In European culture, the Supermoon was also referred to as a Snow Moon due to the large amount of snow that usually fell in the second month of the year.
Other cultures have also referred to February’s Full Moon as a bone or hunger moon due to the scarcity of food in winter.
The Moon is also called a Supermoon as it appears at its largest in the sky.
Astrologers have called it as such as it appears this way due to the Moon reaching its perigee - the closest that the Moon comes to the Earth during its elliptic orbit.
The ‘Super Snow Moon’ is in stark contrast to last year where there was no Full Moon in February which would be a called a ‘Black Moon’.
A ‘Black Moon’ can be classified as the second full moon appearing in the same month or the lack of a Full Moon within a month which is what occurred last year.
Tonight’s full moon will reach a perigee or closest distance from the Earth of 221,681 miles.
This Super Moon can be seen from Bangladesh at 7:00 pm. The best time to watch Super Moon is just a few minutes after the Moon rises. Super Moon’s brightness is 12.5 percent to 14.1 percent more than usual.
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- Monsoon rains wreak flood havoc across South Asia
- I am not a racist, insists Trump
- Rifat`s wife Minni arrested
- Flood affects 42 villages in Sherpur
- We have to stand against militancy: Monirul
- Someshwari river erosion continues
- Kader’s health test completed, doctors satisfied
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Before the last ball, I thought of Mushfiqur: Stokes
- Vivo ‘Made in Bangladesh’ soon
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva