Get ready for Super Snow Moon tonight!
Published: 11:49 AM, 19 February 2019
Stargazers across the world will bear the witness to the ‘Super Show Moon’ which will shine brightly in the sky on Tuesday night as the Earth welcomes yet Supermoon this year.
Following the last month’s ‘Super Wolf Blood Moon’, space enthusiasts will be welcomed by the second of three consecutive Supermoons this year.
Like last month’s ‘Supermoon’, this ‘Super Snow Moon’ will take its name from the Native Indians who label every full moon that falls in February as a ‘Snow Moon’.
In European culture, the Supermoon was also referred to as a Snow Moon due to the large amount of snow that usually fell in the second month of the year.
Other cultures have also referred to February’s Full Moon as a bone or hunger moon due to the scarcity of food in winter.
The Moon is also called a Supermoon as it appears at its largest in the sky.
Astrologers have called it as such as it appears this way due to the Moon reaching its perigee - the closest that the Moon comes to the Earth during its elliptic orbit.
The ‘Super Snow Moon’ is in stark contrast to last year where there was no Full Moon in February which would be a called a ‘Black Moon’.
A ‘Black Moon’ can be classified as the second full moon appearing in the same month or the lack of a Full Moon within a month which is what occurred last year.
Tonight’s full moon will reach a perigee or closest distance from the Earth of 221,681 miles.
This Super Moon can be seen from Bangladesh at 7:00 pm. The best time to watch Super Moon is just a few minutes after the Moon rises. Super Moon’s brightness is 12.5 percent to 14.1 percent more than usual.
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- Asghar, Hamid included in AFG World Cup squad
- Worsen condition of comedians
- Magical Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair, Skin & Health
- Two Rohingya drug traders killed in gunfight
- College admission begins from May 12
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- 19 killed in Colombia mudslide
- Google celebrates Earth Day with Doodle
- Heat wave may continue
- Shahenur, torched by husband, dies
- Padma Bridge: 11th span to be installed tomorrow
- Curfew lifted after Sri Lankan bombings
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Bangladesh, Brunei ink 7 instruments
- 4 kg gold recovered from Dhaka Airport toilet
- Bangladeshi youth gunned down by BSF
- Two killed in gas explosion, wall blown away
- Comedian wins Ukrainian presidency by landslide
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- New identity of Porimoni
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims