Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
Published: 06:20 PM, 27 February 2020 Updated: 07:21 PM, 27 February 2020
The displaced Rohingyas taking shelter in Bangladesh; File Photo
German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development Dr. Gerd Muller has announced to suspend development cooperation with Myanmar until the safe return of Rohingya refugees taking shelter in Bangladesh to their homes in Rakhine state.
The German embassy in Dhaka reported this on Thursday.
According to the German Embassy in Dhaka, Dr. Gerd Muller visited Rohingya camp in Cox’s Bazar on February 26. There he announced the suspension of development cooperation with Myanmar.
“Germany will use their development policy tools to support the Rohingya refugees and the communities hosting them,” he said after wrapping up a two-day visit to Bangladesh on Wednesday.
“Myanmar must do everything to protect the Rohingyas and help them in safe return.”
The German Federal Minister said about one million Rohingyas taken shelter in the Kutupalong refugee camp. “They are traumatized.”
Dr. Gerd Muller arrives in Dhaka on February 27 and met Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina during his visit. He also met Foreign Minister Dr. AK Abdul Momen.
During this, Dr. Momen requested Muller to consider meaningful measures on Myanmar to create a peaceful environment for a safe, dignified return of Rohingya, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Dr. Muller visited several garment factories in Gazipur during his visit and also held meetings with the leaders of the RMG workers union.
German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development Dr. Gerd Muller eft Bangladesh on February 27.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus