German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
Published: 08:51 PM, 29 March 2020 Updated: 10:00 PM, 30 March 2020
Thomas Schaefer, Germany’s Hesse state finance minister, committed suicide after deeply worried about the economic downfall of the country over coronavirus crisis
Germany’s Hesse state finance minister Thomas Schaefer, 54, has committed suicide after becoming “perturbed” over the country’s “economic fallout” from coronavirus and “how to overcome the situation”, state prime minister Volker Bouffier said in a recorded statement on Sunday.
Schaefer was found dead near a railway route on Saturday, Volker Bouffier informed, saying: “Initially, they believe he died by suicide.” – reports gulfnews.
“We are shocked and most of all we are very sad right now,” the state premier said in the statement.
Thomas Schaefer, who was the finance minister of Hesse state for ten long years, had been working hard day and night to assist companies and workers deal with economic impact over the pandemic coronavirus in the state – which is also known as Germany’s financial capital Frankfurt.
It was learned that Schaefer was known for a possible successor of Bouffier, which means he was next in line to become the prime minister of the Hesse state of Germany. He belonged to Markel’s center-right CDU party.
“We are greatly shocked and deeply worried. We needed someone like him in the country’s current difficult time,” Volker Bouffier said in a regret voice.
Schaefer left behind a wife and two children.
- 2 killed in Tangail autorickshaw-motorcycle collision
- Online portals to bring under registration soon: Hasan
- Imperial and BBMH declared as dedicated Covid-19 hospitals
- Magura coronavirus cases rise to 20
- Ershad’s ‘Palli Nibas’ under lockdown
- Niloufer Manzur laid to eternal rest at Banani graveyard
- 1,200 Bangladeshis return home from Maldives
- COVID-19 cases surpass 5.6 million globally
- Chandpur coronavirus deaths rise to 13
- Chicken prices drop by Tk 40
- Man hides after knowing he tests COVID-19 positive
- ‘BNP can’t shun politics of criticism, hatred even on Eid day’
- Gopalganj`s COVID-19 cases rise by 13 to 143
- BNP rotating in circle of negative politics amidst corona crisis
- Sri Lanka pacer held on drug charge
- 30 missing as boat sinks in Jamuna
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Motijheel zone ADC Mithu infected with coronavirus
- 1,119 policemen recovery from coronavirus
- COVID-19 claims more than 348,000 lives globally
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Rain likely to increase, signal 3 for maritime ports
- ‘Keyamat Theke Keyamat’ re-airs today
- Miss Universe NZ finalist Amber-Lee Friis found dead at home
- Envoy Group Chairman contracted COVID-19
- Sunbeams School founder Niloufer Manzur succumbs to COVID-19
- Deputy Speaker Fazle Rabbi’s wife dies at 67
- Another 22 infected with coronavirus in Tangail
- Woman gives childbirth at gate as hospital reluctant to admit her
- COVID-19 rapidly surging in Brazil
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
- After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- ‘Amphan’ closer to Bangladesh; Great Danger Signal No 10 issued
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- ‘Amphan’ likely to hit late night
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Great danger signal for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar too
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- 1251 new infected in 24hrs, 21 more dead
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Cyclone Amphan: 5-10 foot tall tidal waves likely
- Cyclone Amphan: What Met Office say in special bulletin no 24
- ‘Amphan’ moves 165km towards Bangladesh in a night
- Amphan moving forwards with speed of 245 kmph
- Super Cyclone ‘Amphan’ 700 km near to Bangladesh
- 1617 new infected in 24hrs, 16 more dead
- Cyclone Amphan: Live updates
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- Trump calls WHO a puppet of China
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Uber Eats going to be closed in Bangladesh
- Cyclone Amphan: Great Danger Signal likely to be issued
- Online store “Facebook Shops” launched
- Nearly 5000 recover from COVID-19 in country
- Nushrat wants to get married!