German businesses keen to invest in Bangladesh: Ambassador
Published: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018
German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz
Newly appointed German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz on Tuesday said German business community is interested to make investment in Bangladesh.
He made the remarks while paying a courtesy call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her office in the capital.
PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
In response to German ambassador’s remarks, the Prime Minister said Bangladesh has set up special economic zones. “They can come and set up their industries there,” she said.
In the meeting, the German Ambassador said German is providing US$ 300 million to Bangladesh for its energy and climate change projects.
“Germany can contribute more to power and energy sector,” he said adding that Bangladesh has great potentials.
The envoy said Germany highly appreciates Bangladesh for providing shelter to the Rohingyas fled persecution in the Rakhine state of Myanmar. Germany has so far provided assistance of US$ 75 million for the Rohingyas, he noted.
“We can understand the burden of giving shelter to Rohingyas as Germany also gave shelter to refugees,” the newly appointed German Ambassador said.
In reply, the Prime Minister said the number of refugees is more than that of the local people.
About the agreement signed with Germany over e-Passport project of Bangladesh, Peter Fahrenholtz said the project is progressing well and the German company is working to implement the project.
The project, titled 'Introduction of e-Passport and Automated Border Control Management in Bangladesh', is being implemented from July 2018 to June 2028.
About the garment workers, the German Ambassador appreciated Bangladesh for raising the minimum wage for its garment workers.
The Prime Minister recalled her stay in Germany during the assassination of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975.
Sheikh Hasina also recalled that both West Germany and East Germany had supported the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
PM's International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi, Principal Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office Md Nojibur Rahman and PM's Military Secretary Major General Mia Md Jainul Abedin were present at the meeting.
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Heart health: Love one you`re with
- Conduct leastwise two cases free: CJ
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- PM joins Munich Security Conference
- India warns Pakistan of `strong response`
- Trump to spend $8B for Mexico wall
- Haiti president breaks silence finally
- ‘Fagun Haway’ draws huge acclamation
- UN sought $920m for Rohingya
- Motorcyclist killed in Nanglokote road crash
- 78th birthday of Dr Wazed tomorrow
- Myanmar court sentences two to death for Muslim lawyer`s murder
- Dhaka for OIC help on Rohingya issue
- PM seeks more WHO engagement
- Facebook taps user data to defend workers from threat
- Farmers dream in coriander
- Barca extent Valverde contract until 2020
- Tea output increases 57 pc in northern districts
- Allama Shafi with helicopter in Ijtema
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Bomb-like eggplant recovered at CU
- Committee formed to celebrate Bangabandhu’s centenary
- Bangladesh brace for another trail by NZ pace
- Messi is ready for Valverde
- 3 held over Eden College`s ex-principal murder
- First lady makes Valentine’s Day art with pediatric patients
- Trump to declare emergency over Mexico border wall
- Actor Farooque injured
- Mushfiqur on the verge of making double-century
- All News »
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- AL reveals 2nd phase UZ polls candidates name
- Saraswati Puja today
- IAF Chief to visit Dhaka today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- DUCSU `election schedule` today