German businesses keen to invest in Bangladesh: Ambassador
Published: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018
German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz
Newly appointed German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz on Tuesday said German business community is interested to make investment in Bangladesh.
He made the remarks while paying a courtesy call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her office in the capital.
PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
In response to German ambassador’s remarks, the Prime Minister said Bangladesh has set up special economic zones. “They can come and set up their industries there,” she said.
In the meeting, the German Ambassador said German is providing US$ 300 million to Bangladesh for its energy and climate change projects.
“Germany can contribute more to power and energy sector,” he said adding that Bangladesh has great potentials.
The envoy said Germany highly appreciates Bangladesh for providing shelter to the Rohingyas fled persecution in the Rakhine state of Myanmar. Germany has so far provided assistance of US$ 75 million for the Rohingyas, he noted.
“We can understand the burden of giving shelter to Rohingyas as Germany also gave shelter to refugees,” the newly appointed German Ambassador said.
In reply, the Prime Minister said the number of refugees is more than that of the local people.
About the agreement signed with Germany over e-Passport project of Bangladesh, Peter Fahrenholtz said the project is progressing well and the German company is working to implement the project.
The project, titled 'Introduction of e-Passport and Automated Border Control Management in Bangladesh', is being implemented from July 2018 to June 2028.
About the garment workers, the German Ambassador appreciated Bangladesh for raising the minimum wage for its garment workers.
The Prime Minister recalled her stay in Germany during the assassination of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975.
Sheikh Hasina also recalled that both West Germany and East Germany had supported the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
PM's International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi, Principal Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office Md Nojibur Rahman and PM's Military Secretary Major General Mia Md Jainul Abedin were present at the meeting.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor