German businesses keen to invest in Bangladesh: Ambassador
Published: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 04:01 PM, 27 November 2018
German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz
Newly appointed German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz on Tuesday said German business community is interested to make investment in Bangladesh.
He made the remarks while paying a courtesy call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her office in the capital.
PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
In response to German ambassador’s remarks, the Prime Minister said Bangladesh has set up special economic zones. “They can come and set up their industries there,” she said.
In the meeting, the German Ambassador said German is providing US$ 300 million to Bangladesh for its energy and climate change projects.
“Germany can contribute more to power and energy sector,” he said adding that Bangladesh has great potentials.
The envoy said Germany highly appreciates Bangladesh for providing shelter to the Rohingyas fled persecution in the Rakhine state of Myanmar. Germany has so far provided assistance of US$ 75 million for the Rohingyas, he noted.
“We can understand the burden of giving shelter to Rohingyas as Germany also gave shelter to refugees,” the newly appointed German Ambassador said.
In reply, the Prime Minister said the number of refugees is more than that of the local people.
About the agreement signed with Germany over e-Passport project of Bangladesh, Peter Fahrenholtz said the project is progressing well and the German company is working to implement the project.
The project, titled 'Introduction of e-Passport and Automated Border Control Management in Bangladesh', is being implemented from July 2018 to June 2028.
About the garment workers, the German Ambassador appreciated Bangladesh for raising the minimum wage for its garment workers.
The Prime Minister recalled her stay in Germany during the assassination of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975.
Sheikh Hasina also recalled that both West Germany and East Germany had supported the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
PM's International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi, Principal Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office Md Nojibur Rahman and PM's Military Secretary Major General Mia Md Jainul Abedin were present at the meeting.
- Walking beyond political obstacles, challenges
- President, PM mourns death of Prof Muzaffar Ahmed
- Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United to play tonight
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv today
- Brazil sends army to tackle Amazon blazes
- Robber killed in Sylhet gunfight
- US-China trade war: Trump imposes furious tariff
- Nuclear Titanic: 1st Russ seaborne NPP
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Hesson, Katich join IPL’s Bangalore franchise
- Prof Muzaffar Ahmed passes away
- 2 killed in Ctg road crash
- Bangladesh-Argentina agree to increase trade
- Life of Brian: Most blasphemous film ever
- France-Brazil deal halted over Amazon fires
- England 67 all out in third Ashes Test
- Seaside dam-road collapsed: No reform in 7 yrs
- 200 examiners to miss exam papers evaluation in Rajshahi
- Problems in rotting jute
- Amazon fires a global crisis says Macron
- President for communal harmony to attain development
- US-Russia trade barbs at UN over ‘new arms race’
- Language Movement veteran Dr MA Gafur dies
- Malta cultivation in Gauripur
- Six-year-old YouTube star buys $6.5mn property
- Bangladesh beat Bhutan by 5-2 in SAFF U-15 tie
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv tomorrow
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- A new milestone for Purnima
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- PEC exam schedule published
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- World Mosquito Day today
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites