By-polls of DNCC, general polls of DSCC
General Holiday in capital tomorrow
Published: 12:34 PM, 27 February 2019
The government has declared a general holiday on Thursday for the Mayoral by polls of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) and the polls of Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC).
The polling will take place from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The information was provided by the Ministry of Public Administration in a separate notification on Tuesday.
By the death of Mayor Anisul Haque, the by-polls for the DNCC mayoral post are being held. According to EC sources, 5 candidates are contesting for the DNCC mayor post. They are - Atiqul Islam of Awami League, Shafin Ahmed of Jatiya Party, Shahin Khan from Progressive Democratic Party (PDP), Anisur Rahman Dewan from National People's Party (NPP), and Independent candidate Md Abdur Rahim.
Meanwhile, the number of candidates is 309 for the 36 general wards of the DNCCC and DSCC. The number of candidates for the position of women council in 12 reserved wards in two cities is 70. Among them, 160 candidates of 18 general wards of the general ward of DNCC, 149 of the general councilor candidates in the DSCC in the respective wards.
On the other hand, there are 45 women candidates in the 6 reserved wards of the DNCCC and 25 in the DSCC. The party symbol is not allocated for the councilor post.
Security has been taken to ensure the safety of voters and candidates. Polling will be stopped at the center of any voting center if there is any irregularity. On Wednesday, there will be restrictions of traffic movement for 24hours from midnight to Thursday midnight for the two city elections.
In addition to the highways under the city corporation, the restrictions on important roads, highways and main link roads will be relaxed in the inter-district and metropolitan areas.
In addition to the permission of the EC, the candidates’ agents, their election agents, local observers and journalists, officers and employees of the election, law enforcement personnel, restrictions on the legal inspector of the election will not be applicable.
Vehicular movement is also outside the ban for certain emergency work such as ambulance, fire service, electricity, gas, post, and telecommunication.
It is noted that the mayoral post for the DNCC by-polls is being held on February 28. On the other hand, general polls for the 18 wards of the DNCC and 18 wards of the DSCC (total 36 wards) are also being held. In addition, women councilor posts in 6 reserved women wards in both DNCCC and DSCC City polls are being held on February 28.
- Lemon cultivation gaining popularity in Panchagarh
- AL secretariat meeting tomorrow
- Black holes made of dark energy?
- PM hints at buying two more Boeing aircraft
- PM inaugurates Biman’s ‘Rajhangsa’
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- People’s reliance now on JP: GM Quader
- Plaintiff tries to suicide in court over husband’s bail
- Bangabandhu, Bangamata football tournament kicks-off!
- TCB to provide onion at Tk 45
- Durga Puja set-out in Jamalpur’s 210 temples
- ADB president to step down
- Rawdah of Rasulullah (SM) under Green Dome
- Puja Cherry got married!
- 27 policemen awarded in Dhaka Range Crime Conference
- Sheikh Hasina so far receives 37 int’l accolades
- Veteran coach Nazmul quits BCB
- U-23 squad announced for India tour
- Corruption in rice distribution
- Hilsa scarcity leads to paucity
- HC’s rule on CCSU election
- Smith takes 34-point lead over Kohli
- UAE introduces free visa on condition
- Woman carried away on mobility scooter in a hilarious state
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on Oct 20
- IEEE accredited Bangladesh University
- Bosila militant den raid: Probe report on Oct 17
- Over 75 tigers died in Thailand for inbreeding fact
- Blast in Afghan President’s rally kills 24 civilians
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- Rohingya homes destroyed for government facilities
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Tajia procession brought out amid tight security
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects