By-polls of DNCC, general polls of DSCC
General Holiday in capital tomorrow
Published: 12:34 PM, 27 February 2019
The government has declared a general holiday on Thursday for the Mayoral by polls of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) and the polls of Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC).
The polling will take place from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The information was provided by the Ministry of Public Administration in a separate notification on Tuesday.
By the death of Mayor Anisul Haque, the by-polls for the DNCC mayoral post are being held. According to EC sources, 5 candidates are contesting for the DNCC mayor post. They are - Atiqul Islam of Awami League, Shafin Ahmed of Jatiya Party, Shahin Khan from Progressive Democratic Party (PDP), Anisur Rahman Dewan from National People's Party (NPP), and Independent candidate Md Abdur Rahim.
Meanwhile, the number of candidates is 309 for the 36 general wards of the DNCCC and DSCC. The number of candidates for the position of women council in 12 reserved wards in two cities is 70. Among them, 160 candidates of 18 general wards of the general ward of DNCC, 149 of the general councilor candidates in the DSCC in the respective wards.
On the other hand, there are 45 women candidates in the 6 reserved wards of the DNCCC and 25 in the DSCC. The party symbol is not allocated for the councilor post.
Security has been taken to ensure the safety of voters and candidates. Polling will be stopped at the center of any voting center if there is any irregularity. On Wednesday, there will be restrictions of traffic movement for 24hours from midnight to Thursday midnight for the two city elections.
In addition to the highways under the city corporation, the restrictions on important roads, highways and main link roads will be relaxed in the inter-district and metropolitan areas.
In addition to the permission of the EC, the candidates’ agents, their election agents, local observers and journalists, officers and employees of the election, law enforcement personnel, restrictions on the legal inspector of the election will not be applicable.
Vehicular movement is also outside the ban for certain emergency work such as ambulance, fire service, electricity, gas, post, and telecommunication.
It is noted that the mayoral post for the DNCC by-polls is being held on February 28. On the other hand, general polls for the 18 wards of the DNCC and 18 wards of the DSCC (total 36 wards) are also being held. In addition, women councilor posts in 6 reserved women wards in both DNCCC and DSCC City polls are being held on February 28.
- Today’s sports on TV
- Bus kills 9 months’ kid with mum
- Coronavirus Global survey: 2363 died, 78 thousand infected
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Man detained with large number yaba
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Corona in Singapore: Another Bangladeshi identified