Gayle wins AUD 300,000 in damages in defamation suit
Published: 05:51 PM, 3 December 2018 Updated: 05:51 PM, 3 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Chris Gayle, West Indies batsman, who, in October 2017, had prevailed in his defamation suit against Fairfax Media in relation to charges against indecent exposure in front of a female masseur, has now been awarded a sum of 300,000 Australian dollars (equivalent to US $ 221,000) by a New South Wales court.
The West Indies batsman had been the subject of articles claiming he had exposed himself to a massage therapist in Sydney during the 2015 World Cup. He sued the publishing company and the court found in his favour, but Fairfax Media have again said they will appeal the judgment.
The case relates to a January 2016 report in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Canberra Times. Leanne Russell, a massage therapist who came to assist the West Indies team at Drummoyne Oval, alleged that she entered the dressing room to look for a towel when Gayle dropped his and said "is this what you're looking for."
Judge Lucy McCallum, in her verdict last October, said Fairfax had not justified its articles on either the basis of truth or of qualified privilege, which weighs up the public interest value of published information and whether or not the media outlet acted reasonably.
On Monday, after finalising the value for damages, McCallum said the allegations "went to the heart of Mr Gayle's professional life as a batsman". The player had given evidence to that end during the trial saying it was "the most hurtful thing I've actually come across in my entire life".
While the judge found those statements "surprisingly compelling" and "a particular source of hurt for Mr Gayle were the fact that there were calls for him to be banned from international cricket", she agreed with Fairfax's submission that they were "not at the most serious end of the spectrum."
A spokesperson for the publishing company reiterated its concerns about the fairness of the trial. "The damages award merely confirms the appalling burden of defamation laws in this country. Fairfax is immediately bringing an appeal."
During the trial, Fairfax had asked Justice McCallum to order a new trial, concerned that the closing statements of Gayle's barrister, Bruce McClintock, SC had prejudiced the jury against it. However, she said on Monday that she did "not regard there to have been anything improprer in the submissions put by Mr McClintock".
- Kim in Russia for Putin summit
- Tarique’s friend Mamun gets 7-year jail
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- PM to visit Sheikh Selim’s residence
- Adulterated sweets, no one to see!
- Zayan’s body arrives in Dhaka
- Two Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ to die
- Earthquake rattles northeast India, Tibet
- Bitter squash in office’s flowerpots
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 18 detains in hunt over Sri Lanka bombings
- 2 dies after being pushed out from train
- Toll in Sri Lanka bombings rises to 359
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ today
- Six years of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- Emirates to face Kyrgyzstan today
- 54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
- Second session of 11th JS today
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Zayan’s body to arrive Dhaka today
- India warned Sri Lanka 2 hours before Suicide Attacks
- Hijra, a creature of Allah: Noor
- Online reg required for St. Martin visit
- Biman to resume Dhaka-Delhi flight from May 13
- Kim, Putin to hold first talks in Russia
- PM returns home from Brunei
- Shakib returns for SRH, CSK to bowl
- BNP on extinction boycotting JS says Tofail
- ACC interrogates Jhenaidah MP Mannan
- Special attention on Rohingyas; says CEC
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Adele separates from husband
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death