Gatco graft case: hearing deferred again
Published: 04:03 PM, 18 March 2019
A Dhaka court adjourned again the hearing in Gatco graft case against BNP chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia and others as the prime accused were absent.
Judge Abu Syed Dilzar Hossain of the Dhaka Special Judge Court -3 set April 17 for holding hearing on charge framing in the case on Monday.
Today was set for holding hearing on charge framing, but the jail authorities couldn’t produce Khaleda Zia before court, sent custody instead. Signed by Keraniganj Central Hospital assistant surgeon Dr Mahmudul Hasan, the document said Khaleda Zia is sick.
Khaleda’s counsel Masud Ahmed Talukder pleaded for time saying, indictment hearing cannot be held in her absence and also they are yet to receive necessary documents from the prosecution.
Prosecutor Mosharraf Hossain Kazal however, argued for holding the hearing today.
After hearing both the parties, the court adjourned the hearing till April 17.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) filed the case against 13 people, including Khaleda and her younger son Arafat Rahman on September 2, 2007, with Tejgaon Police Station for their role in corruption regarding penning a contract with Global Agro Trade (Pvt) Co Ltd (Gatco) for container management at inland container depots in Dhaka and Chittagong.
Formal charge was submitted against 24 on May 13, 2008. But of the 24 accused, six including Arafat, Saifur Rahman and Matiur Rahman Nizami have died so far.
The BNP chairperson later filed two writ petitions with the High Court challenging the legality of bringing the case under emergency power rules and sought stay on the proceedings of the case in the trial court.
The High Court on July 15, 2008, stayed the trial proceedings of the case and issued separate rulings in this regard.
The case is now pending before Dhaka Special Judges Court-3 in charge framing stage.
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- PM returns home today
- Tajikistan to face Mongolia evening
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- 1,650 metres of Padma Bridge now visible
- Murder accused Jabed killed in Ctg gunfight
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Strong earthquake hits central Philippines, killing 5
- Sri Lanka blames Islamists for Easter attacks
- Bangladesh beat UAE by 2-0
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Team Bangladesh on ICC’s fb cover photo