Gatco graft case: hearing deferred again
Published: 04:03 PM, 18 March 2019
A Dhaka court adjourned again the hearing in Gatco graft case against BNP chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia and others as the prime accused were absent.
Judge Abu Syed Dilzar Hossain of the Dhaka Special Judge Court -3 set April 17 for holding hearing on charge framing in the case on Monday.
Today was set for holding hearing on charge framing, but the jail authorities couldn’t produce Khaleda Zia before court, sent custody instead. Signed by Keraniganj Central Hospital assistant surgeon Dr Mahmudul Hasan, the document said Khaleda Zia is sick.
Khaleda’s counsel Masud Ahmed Talukder pleaded for time saying, indictment hearing cannot be held in her absence and also they are yet to receive necessary documents from the prosecution.
Prosecutor Mosharraf Hossain Kazal however, argued for holding the hearing today.
After hearing both the parties, the court adjourned the hearing till April 17.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) filed the case against 13 people, including Khaleda and her younger son Arafat Rahman on September 2, 2007, with Tejgaon Police Station for their role in corruption regarding penning a contract with Global Agro Trade (Pvt) Co Ltd (Gatco) for container management at inland container depots in Dhaka and Chittagong.
Formal charge was submitted against 24 on May 13, 2008. But of the 24 accused, six including Arafat, Saifur Rahman and Matiur Rahman Nizami have died so far.
The BNP chairperson later filed two writ petitions with the High Court challenging the legality of bringing the case under emergency power rules and sought stay on the proceedings of the case in the trial court.
The High Court on July 15, 2008, stayed the trial proceedings of the case and issued separate rulings in this regard.
The case is now pending before Dhaka Special Judges Court-3 in charge framing stage.
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Traffic sergeant’s father files writ for compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !