German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
Published: 08:51 PM, 29 March 2020 Updated: 10:00 PM, 30 March 2020
Thomas Schaefer, Germany’s Hesse state finance minister, committed suicide after deeply worried about the economic downfall of the country over coronavirus crisis
Germany’s Hesse state finance minister Thomas Schaefer, 54, has committed suicide after becoming “perturbed” over the country’s “economic fallout” from coronavirus and “how to overcome the situation”, state prime minister Volker Bouffier said in a recorded statement on Sunday.
Schaefer was found dead near a railway route on Saturday, Volker Bouffier informed, saying: “Initially, they believe he died by suicide.” – reports gulfnews.
“We are shocked and most of all we are very sad right now,” the state premier said in the statement.
Thomas Schaefer, who was the finance minister of Hesse state for ten long years, had been working hard day and night to assist companies and workers deal with economic impact over the pandemic coronavirus in the state – which is also known as Germany’s financial capital Frankfurt.
It was learned that Schaefer was known for a possible successor of Bouffier, which means he was next in line to become the prime minister of the Hesse state of Germany. He belonged to Markel’s center-right CDU party.
“We are greatly shocked and deeply worried. We needed someone like him in the country’s current difficult time,” Volker Bouffier said in a regret voice.
Schaefer left behind a wife and two children.
- Farmer killed in lightning
- 13 more including journalist contracted COVID-19 in Brahmanbaria
- Decision to resume public transport on a limited scale
- Govt is trying to offset life and livelihood: Quader
- Elderly, pregnant prohibited at office
- Private airline wants to resume domestic flights
- Little rain submerges the city road
- 2 police inspectors transferred
- Decisions on flight operations tomorrow
- Gazipur records highest 115 coronavirus cases in a single day
- Public transport may remain shut down
- Remdesivir’s application in COVID-19 treatment in country started
- 34 more contracted coronavirus in Cumilla
- Businessman dies of coronavirus in Rupganj
- Edu institutions closed till June 15
- UP secretary with respiratory illness dies in Sylhet
- Edu institutions’ holidays may extend again
- Offices resume from May 31
- BSEC commission meeting on Thursday
- No one has ever seen this ‘Sagarkanya’ before
- 161 more policemen recover from coronavirus
- 170 Indians left Bangladesh
- Brother-nephews broke UP member’s legs in Gozaria
- Sujoy Shyam of Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra healthy and well
- Missing fisherman found dead in Sunamganj
- 42 contracted COVID-19 in Nokia factory, manufacturing suspended
- 6 killed in Saudi Arabia shootout
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Afghanistan government releases 900 Taliban prisoners
- All hospitals directed to give COVID-19 treatment
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
- Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- ‘Amphan’ closer to Bangladesh; Great Danger Signal No 10 issued
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Great danger signal for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar too
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- 1617 new infected in 24hrs, 16 more dead
- Uber Eats going to be closed in Bangladesh
- Legal notice sent to Anushka Sharma
- Online store “Facebook Shops” launched
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- High number of US coronavirus cases is ‘Badge of Honor’: Trump
- Cyclone ‘Amphan’: 15 feet high storm surge likely
- Areas under Danger Signal No 10
- These areas likely to be inundated by 15 feet high storm surge
- IS new chief al-Qardash arrested
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Shokh herself reveals mystery of 2nd marriage?
- ‘Twilight’ actor found dead with girlfriend