GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
first time in Bangladesh
Published: 05:25 PM, 18 June 2019 Updated: 05:26 PM, 18 June 2019
For the first time in Bangladesh, the Geological Survey of Bangladesh (GSB) discovered a magnetite (iron ore) mine at Isabpur village in Hakimpur upazila of Dinajpur district. It brought new hopes for the country’s economy.
The Geological Survey of Bangladesh (GSB) made the groundbreaking announcement on Tuesday morning following extensive examinations after drilling a well for two months.
A 400-foot thick iron layer was found 1,750 feet beneath the surface and it stretches over an area of 6-10 square kilometers, said GSB Deputy Director Mohammad Masum around 11:30am.
He said the percentage of iron in the mine is 65 while that in Canada, China, Brazil Sweden and Australia is below 50.
The GSB official said apart from the presence of gold, there are copper, nickel and chromium in the layer. “Limestone was also found at a depth of 1150 feet,” he said, adding that the discovery of iron mine is the first in Bangladesh.
He said the GSB found the existence of mineral substances drilling a well at Mushidpur, 3 kms off Isabpur village, in 2013. “In line of the survey, digging began at Isabpur village on April 19 last after long six years. While drilling from 1380-1500 feet, we saw rays of hope,” he said.
GSB Director General Zillur Rahman Chowdhury along with other senior officials visited the site on May 26 when he hinted at the discovery of the country’s first iron mine.
The Geological Survey of Bangladesh started the digging after taking 50 decimals of land from farmer Ishaque Ali of Isabpur village, 11 kms of the upazila headquarters of Hakimpur, on lease for four months at Tk 45,000.
GSB Deputy Director (Drilling Engineer) M Masud Rana said a 30-member team of experts did the drilling work in three shifts.
The discovery of the iron mine has opened up economic prospects for the country, too.
The extraction of iron ore will be viable economically, it will also create employment opportunities for many.
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- Priya Shaha sacked form BHBCUC
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- Police HQ asks units to stop child-lifting rumor
- Imran Khan vows to reform Pakistan cricket
- Flood shut over 100 edu institutes in Tangail
- Dredging on railway
- Special supervising cell for defaulters
- Hong Kong reels from armed mob violence
- BD peacekeeper electrocuted in Central African Republic
- Bangladesh to tour Pakistan
- HC summons DNCC, DSCC chief health officials
- 3 placed on 4-day remand over Badda lynching
- 2 more schools made public
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Habiganj Civil Surgeon dies of dengue virus
- Local AL leader shot dead in Satkhira
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Iran announces arrests, death sentences as CIA spy ring busted
- ‘CNG stations to remain open 24 hrs for 11 days in Eid’
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Minni sent to jail
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web