GP ordered to pay Tk1000 cr by Monday
Published: 02:26 PM, 20 February 2020
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday ordered private mobile operator Grameenphone to pay Tk 1,000 crore to Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) by Monday.
The seven-member bench of the Appellate Division, led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain handed down the order while hearing a review petition filed by GP.
The court also decided to pass further order on the matter on Monday.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam and Barrister Khandaker Reza-e-Raquib represented the BRTC while Lawyer AM Amin Uddin and Barrister Mehedi Hasan Chowdhury stood for Grameenphone in the court.
Earlier on November 24, the Appellate Division asked GP to pay Tk 2,000 crore of the Tk 12,579.95 crore dues claimed by BTRC within three months. The deadline will expire on February 24.
Later on January 26, GP filed a review petition with the Appellate Division against the SC order asking permission to pay Tk 575 crore to BTRC as an adjustable amount.
BTRC claimed the dues in 27 sectors from the mobile operator but failed to recover the money. Later, BTRC sent a notice to GP threatening to revoke its licence on April 2 last year.
But GP moved the court seeking a temporary injunction on the notice which was turned down on August 28 that year. The mobile operator later filed an appeal with the High Court.
On October 17, the High Court imposed a two-month injunction on realisation of dues from GP. BTRC later moved the Appellate Division against the order.
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact