GDP, per capita income increased: Finance Minister
Published: 04:44 PM, 19 March 2019 Updated: 09:46 PM, 19 March 2019
The country’s economy will grow by 8.13 percent in the current fiscal year (FY19) while the per capita income will reach US$1,909, said Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal today.
The minister said this while briefing reporters after the day’s National Economic Council (NEC) meeting held at its conference room with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair. Planning Minister MA Mannan was present.
Referring to the provisional estimation of the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), Kamal said that the GDP growth rate is to reach 8.13 percent against 7.86 percent recorded in the last fiscal year.
He also said that the per capita income will increase to $1909 from $1751 in the last fiscal year.
The finance minister informed that the investment-GDP ratio in the current fiscal year is to reach 31.57 percent from 31.13 percent in the previous fiscal year.
Out of the total provisional investment-GDP ratio of 31.57 percent in the current year, the public investment ratio to GDP will rise to 8.17 percent while the private investment ratio to GDP will rise to 23.40 percent.
He said that the total size of the GDP in the current fiscal year will rise to Taka 25,36,177 crore from Taka 22,50,479 crore recorded in the last fiscal year.
The finance minister said that the areas of potentials are huge in the country, but many of those still remained unexplored. “We’ll have to explore those areas,”
Terming the private sector the ‘engine of growth’, Kamal said that they would give more incentives to the private sector to bring it more into the mainstream of the economy.
Mentioning that all the major macroeconomic indicators are now better, he said the rising trend of export earnings as we as inward remittance, increased investment as well as the growing size of the manufacturing sector have been helping in achieving this “eye-catching” growth.
The finance minister also expressed his high optimism about attaining double digit growth rate within the next four years.
According to the BBS provisional data, the growth of the agriculture sector in this year is going to reach 3.51 percent while the industry sector 13.02 percent and the services sector 6.50 percent.
Besides, the GNI in the current fiscal year will reach Taka 26,49,786 and the per capita GDP $1,827.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand