GBV: Boot camp to find young women innovators
Published: 10:38 PM, 8 August 2019
The final stage of a competition for young women innovators to provide them with an opportunity to unleash their potential and find innovative solutions to advance gender equality will be held on September 5.
The boot camp, held on August 5-6 at Daffodil International University, will be followed by two pre-incubation sessions where they will be further groomed for the next stage of the competition- the Pitch Deck on September 5.
They will do a brief presentation and a quick overview of a business plan to a judging panel for the opportunity to win US$ 5000, said UN Women on Thursday.
In March 2019, UN Women launched the Innovators against Gender-Based Violence competition supported by Global Affairs Canada.
UN Women sought innovators with ground-breaking ideas and solutions to empower women, especially within the area of preventing and eliminating violence against women.
The competition closed on April 30, with 75 applications from all over Bangladesh. The applications were shortlisted, and 11 finalists were selected in July 2019.
UN Women program specialist Giulia Pelosi said, “We want women creating innovation for women because who can better understand women’s needs than women themselves.”
“For the longest time, we have been trying to play our part in bringing about change regarding Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in whatever capacity we possess. UN Women is giving us the perfect platform to work for an initiative that can actually help in this regard,” said Manshiah Anis.
She and her team are one of the 11 finalists of Innovators against Gender-Based Violence competition, who intend to work with students using behavior modeling and active learning in schools to transform gender norms, toxic masculinity, and gender-biases.
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- Bus hits standing truck, kills 4 including SI
- Youth killed in Lakshmipur gunfight
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- Singer Aaron Carter raped by older sister
- Nusrat-Mimi dance for Durga Puja theme song
- Google to invest 3 bin euros in Europe
- Bangladesh pays hotel fare for Zim team
- Modi highly ambitious over India-US ties amid UNGA visit
- Polio outbreak in Philippines
- 24 Rohingyas detained in Ctg
- Operations will be conducted in Chattogram too: Minister
- BIMOX 2nd edition expo-2019 begins
- ICMAB holds talks on sustainability, global reporting initiatives
- Masakadza wins Zimbabwe in outing match
- 9 m babies born in unrest part of world last yr
- RAB surrounds 3 more clubs in city
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- U-23 India series: Bangladesh lost to host by 34 runs
- PM leaves for NY to join UNGA
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Rain-floods claimed 5 lives in Spain