Furniture export growth 40.56% in half fiscal: EPB
Published: 10:33 PM, 5 January 2019 Updated: 10:33 PM, 5 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Bangladeshi furniture is now being exported to the Middle Eastern countries alongside UK, USA, Japan, Australia, India, Russia and some South-East Asian countriesThe export of furniture is getting a boost as it accounted for $33.72 million during the first six months (July-December) of the current fiscal year which is also 40.56 percent higher than the corresponding period of the previous fiscal.
The export of furniture during the July-December period of the last fiscal year totaled $23.99 million, according to the latest statistics of the Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
The EPB data showed that the furniture export fetched $63.18 million in the last fiscal year while the strategic export target of furniture for the current fiscal year is $70 million.
The industry insiders said that the local furniture is gradually getting popularity among the foreigners for its qualitative standard and time befitting design. As a result, the country’s furniture industry has advanced a lot over the last one decade due to innovation in designs.
Talking DailyBangladesh, Bangladesh Furniture Exporters’ Association President KM Akhtaruzzaman said that the quality of Bangladeshi furniture is very good due to newer designs, standard wood and the efficiency of furniture workers.
“Higher growth in furniture export has lit the light of hope in boosting overall exports while Bangladesh is also joining the list of highest furniture export-oriented countries,” he said demanding of the government to reduce import duty on some necessary raw materials to take ahead further this furniture industry.
Director General of EPB Abhijit Chowdhury told the correspondent that the furniture industry got due importance in the 7th Five Year Plan to make furniture as a permanent export item.
He also informed that steps have been taken to create new markets abroad for the Bangladeshi furniture.
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- Naogaon youth admits to raping girl after killing her mother
- 3 twin sisters of Mymensingh rescued
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry