Furniture export growth 40.56% in half fiscal: EPB
Published: 10:33 PM, 5 January 2019 Updated: 10:33 PM, 5 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Bangladeshi furniture is now being exported to the Middle Eastern countries alongside UK, USA, Japan, Australia, India, Russia and some South-East Asian countriesThe export of furniture is getting a boost as it accounted for $33.72 million during the first six months (July-December) of the current fiscal year which is also 40.56 percent higher than the corresponding period of the previous fiscal.
The export of furniture during the July-December period of the last fiscal year totaled $23.99 million, according to the latest statistics of the Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
The EPB data showed that the furniture export fetched $63.18 million in the last fiscal year while the strategic export target of furniture for the current fiscal year is $70 million.
The industry insiders said that the local furniture is gradually getting popularity among the foreigners for its qualitative standard and time befitting design. As a result, the country’s furniture industry has advanced a lot over the last one decade due to innovation in designs.
Talking DailyBangladesh, Bangladesh Furniture Exporters’ Association President KM Akhtaruzzaman said that the quality of Bangladeshi furniture is very good due to newer designs, standard wood and the efficiency of furniture workers.
“Higher growth in furniture export has lit the light of hope in boosting overall exports while Bangladesh is also joining the list of highest furniture export-oriented countries,” he said demanding of the government to reduce import duty on some necessary raw materials to take ahead further this furniture industry.
Director General of EPB Abhijit Chowdhury told the correspondent that the furniture industry got due importance in the 7th Five Year Plan to make furniture as a permanent export item.
He also informed that steps have been taken to create new markets abroad for the Bangladeshi furniture.
- British man becomes 1st to fly around the world on a gyrocopter
- Three schoolgirls saved from child marriage
- 15 EC staffs involved in providing NIDs to Rohingyas
- Key EU countries agree on sea migrant redistribution scheme
- Suu Kyi could face trial
- Madrasa student commits suicide in Sunamganj
- Mysterious ‘Sleepy Hollow’ in Kazakhstan village
- One killed in Sherpur clash
- NBR moves to freeze GK Shamim`s bank accounts
- Australia postpone October T20 series
- Bangladesh to play T-10 League
- Facebook to appoint local representatives in Bangladesh
- Onion import begins from Myanmar-Turkey-Egypt
- Taste the delicious ‘Egg Pickle’
- Police raids Fu-Wang Club
- What to do if your credit card is lost
- Tigers` main challenge is to retain skill and mentality
- Bangladesh thru semifinal after 0-0 draw over India
- 35 at wedding party killed during nearby Afghan army raid
- 2 to die for killing housewife in Jhalakati
- Close-up star Liza admitted to hospital
- Students failing in all, won`t able to take part exam
- There is nothing to say like ‘Raghob Boal’: HM
- Israeli president to meet Netanyahu, Gantz
- Silent preparation in JaPa with city polls
- ‘PM left with a strong message at airport’
- Upbeat Tigers eying first T20 trophy
- ‘Militants shuttled regularly as bombs made from here’
- Mallory or Hillary - who really was 1st to climb Everest?
- Probe report against SK Sinha Oct 29
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mehazabien reacted on social media
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Puja Cherry got married!
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?